How do you ask permission to take a photograph?

Over the weekend, I was walking by a coffeeshop near Gramercy Park,

and there was a woman sitting on a bench with two dogs. One a TINY

TINY TINY terrier, about the size of a soda can, the other a huge

black-and-white mutt. I thought it was a hilarious photograph: the

lady's paper, legs, and both dogs.

I decided to ask permission. I walked up, gently and sweetly

said "Excuse me, you have an adorable dog. I'm a photography student,

would you mind if I took a photograph?"

She said no. I'd never asked someone if I could take a photograph

before and I felt really shut down and embarrassed.

Not to mention I missed a funny photograph.

How do you go about asking in these kinds of situations? Did I do

something terribly wrong?

I was using a Stylus Epic and I looked like I belonged there - not

like a tourist - jeans and a backpack, no camera bag. She was a few

years older than I am but no older than 30 I'd say.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take a deep breath... it's ok. I woudn't sweat it. You were polite, asked, and followed through. At that point all you can say is "Ok, have a nice day" and move on. At least you had the courtesy to actually come up and ask as opposed to just snapping the picture from a distance.

Remeber there could be millions of reasons a 20 something would not want to be photographed, I would bet it had nothing to do with you specifically.

Well, if you ask and they say no, their answer should be just as satisfactory to you as it would be if they said yes. You have to treat their answer as just one more aesthetic element figuring into your process of creating an image. If you had just snapped the photo, you would not have gotten the same photo as if you had asked and she had said yes. Your question may have been an act of politeness or deference, but it was also an aesthetic consideration because it changes the way your subject interacts with the camera. And it changes the way you interact with the subject (in this case, you didn't get the photo.)

When you go out of the house to photograph on a dark day and find you only have 50 ISO film in your pocket, then you have to make adjustments in your approach in order to make successful images. If you go out and ask people if you can take their photo and they keep saying no, you have to make adjustments in your approach in order to make successful images. What adjustments you make are your own, but I would encourage you to be creative. And above all, keep trying.

Street photography, with its constant threat of rejection, really challenges the photographer's view of themselves. It forces you to ask questions about yourself and the need (or neediness) that drives you to take someone else's photograph with or without their consent.

If I am in the US,in a public place, and I have a piece of long glass with me I will take

several photos from a distance.I will then go up ask ,pretty much the same was you did.

Most of the time ,there is no problem.If there is a problem I try and work it out with the

person,somtimes they just neet a little coaxing.If they REALLY don't want their photo taken

then I don't print it.I think people have their right to privacy,they might be hiding from a

domestic violence problem or in the witness protection program or just plain shy.

99% of the time there is not

problem.If you are shooting digital ,I will show them what I have already shot so they see

that I am harmless. I think It all comes down to respecting the subject.

come close<br>

smile<br>

prepare to shoot<br>

shoot<br>

another smile<br>

then present yourself<br>

and ask for a more elaborate shoot<br>

if she says no tell her that's fine, have a nice day and move away<br>

if she says yes tell her thank you<br>

maybe your mistake was to speak only about the dogs... which may habe been perceived as unflattering <br>

<i>"I'm a photography student, would you mind if I took a photograph?" She said no.</i>

<p>She said no, she wouldn't mind, or no, you can't take the picture? Just making sure you didn't misunderstand her. If she refused to be photographed, then just nod politely, say "OK, no problem. Thanks and have a nice day," and move on. No big deal, and feel good that you at least had the decency and respect to ask first.

LOL Al - you got the point - if she was british she perhaps was "amused" that no picture was taken :-P

As the british used to say: Would you like a cup of tea? I would not mind if i do :-)

@Sarah - Nice to meet you. I am also a polite person and try to respect peoples feeling. I think some "important" street photography may not be so important to the rest of the world as some "photographers" may think. As Gary already pointed out this may be the reason why I am not a good street-photographer. I get over it :-)

Hi Sarah, yeah I would have to agree with some other comments here - shoot it and then ask, then shoot it again if she says yes. thank her anyway if she says no.

There are many images I have actually shot then noticed Ive been caught out! so Ive found myself doing some explaining and most of the time people dont really give a shit. As time goes by and confidence builds you find yourself becoming more likened to strangers and communication skills (pre and post) become quite strong.

For me, the most important thing is getting the shot, otherwise you walk away bewildered. I put up with all sorts of confrontation - and it really isnt a problem if I know that I have that shot on my film in that camera that im holding...

Sarah,

A lot of good points have been made here in regards to shooting on the street... do you

ask, don't ask, what do you do?

"Take a deep breath... it's ok. I woudn't sweat it."

Eric's right... don't personalize things in these environments. The rejection wasn't about

you! It's usually context driven.

Like Michael, Leslie and Grant said, "take the shot!" That's first and foremost the objective

of the exercise, otherwise, leave the camera at home.

"A good bit of advice I got from a shooter was that the shot is a photographic exercise,

managing the after shot situation IF there is one..is a social exercise - different skills and

attitudes involved."

Peter's comment is very poignant and most shooters will have experienced the situation

at least 100 times in their careers. It's "how" you handle the situation after being

confronted that will determine the end result. Above all... DON'T be confrontational! Your

life isn't worth the picture!

Winogrand use to yell out, "You've been immortalized!" It seems to have worked well for

him.

I often times just take the shot and, in the majority of cases, they don't even realize that

they've been photographed. Sure, they may suspect it but they never really know for sure.

In risky situations, I NEVER raise the camera to my eye for framing... it's always from the

chest (based on hyperfocal distance focusing.) You'll develop your own style over time.

When you've been shooting long enough... you'll even get people coming up and asking

you whether you just took their picture or not (even though you hadn't!) LOL... I was asked

this very question just over the past weekend! :>)

In your situation, you may have caught her off by surprise and she reacted instantaneously

in the way she did. I'm surprised she didn't ask you "why?" I'd be willing to bet that if you

showed up there over the next few days and "showed your presence" she might even react

differently. People are far more cautious these days and are, therefore, much more

guarded. Some folks may have a legitimate reason while others may not.

Good luck on your next venture... street shooting can (and is) be very enjoyable. The main

thing is, "keep trying and don't stop!"

Cheers

Don't ask, shoot! Then if your not satisfied keep shooting until you are. The only time I don't shoot is when I telegraph the shot and somebody objects, Then I always respect their decision unless its a cop, then I shoot anyway. I shoot candids. If you ask you lose the candid shot. One of the few times I ever asked was when I was with the 24 hour group last weekend in NYC in a darkly lit restaurant with a good looking women. I needed to get close to use a 50mm 1.4 and had to ask given the fact I was going to change my seat, sit 3 feet from her and she was eating. I had to ask and the answer was NO. Grant got the shot without asking and without moving and without her knowing. The funny thing was when she left she cursed out the wrong person for shooting her. Guess you had to be there it was hilarious.

Hi Sarah -

It feels crappy to be rejected like that, but I deeply believe you acted appropriately by

being open and honest with your subject and, in the end, respecting the other

woman's space and privacy.

Perhaps next time you could ask a little about her and the dogs first - chatting with

her a bit may let her know you're a person too. That may earn her trust enough to let

her know you're not just some schmoe out to make a quick buck exploiting her and

her "funny-looking" dogs.

This stuff is hard and scary - it terrifies me! Lots of others share these issues too. If

you haven't yet, check out Hurn and Jay's "On Being a Photographer", or the American

Master's Photographer Series book on Bill Allard (Henry Horenstein, Ed.) - they talk a

lot about these issues - intimacy, trust, gaining "access", genuine interst and

empathy vs exploitation. Jim Nachtwey also shares some interesing thoughts at the

end of the film "War Photographer".

Good luck and keep at it! Be kind - you and your art will be the better for it.

-brad

Grant got the shot without asking and without moving and without her knowing. The funny thing was when she left she cursed out the wrong person for shooting her. Guess you had to be there it was hilarious.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I think Grant should post it, if he hasn't already. It'll serve her right for being such a bitch about it. How dare she interfere with someones personal pleasure. Imagine how much praise you probably missed out on by not being able to show that one!!!!

I agree with most people here and say get the shot then ask for more if so desired. Of course I don't use this myself, I just take the shot and move on, but I really think it's the way to go. Myself, I just have to work more on my shyness in approaching strangers. I would do this if I wanted a portrait type shot, but I tend to go more for snapping pictures of people engaged in some activity. To ask for a picture is to stop them from what they are doing. I still think you did right though. I'm haunted by several pictures that I passsed on since I didn't see any way to take the picture without having to ask first. "What a great shot that might have turned out to be" I keep thinking to myself (in between kicking myself).

Cheers,

Marc

Bah, I can imagine photo terrorism based on this thread -- actual harrasment via photography, a barrage of photo.net photographers, and the destruction of privacy. It's not surprising in this view that celebrities sometimes answer with their fists (and drinks, etc).

Sarah, in my opinion, contrary to the majority in this thread, it's more appropriate to ask. And then you should be ready and willing to accept denial. You have already conceded that they have a right to deny you the privilege of taking their photograph; let them exercise it, and don't bother trying to guess their motive for doing so. Instead of focusing on the rejection, I'd try to feel happy about giving them the right of refusal, and then exercising it. It might have been no more than a whim on their part, or some camera shyness, or something else. So what? It probably wasn't about you.

To those who feel that this constrains their artistry and journalism, well, I'm with the subject on this matter. Artistry and journalism come after the right to privacy of the individual.

If you're going to shoot then ask, fine, but I'd want to see evidence of destruction in case I refused, and a real willingess to do so. I wouldn't want to endure a sales pitch in the process.

To those who think that identifiable photography of people in public places is a right, no less so than the casual observation of people -- you have a point. But until you can take your mental image and handle it, and put it on the web, you have to recognize the difference that a camera makes.

To those who think that identifiable photography of people in public places is an essential right for the safety and security of society, above the individual need for privacy -- you have a good point. But that's not the case here.

I know how nice it can be to be able to freely photograph people, and I've enjoyed some photographs of that sort. But I think that the right to not be treated as a subject is more important.

These are my opinions. Attempts to better inform or change them, and clarification on what are the current legal practices, are not unwelcome.