How do I kill an insect crawling inside my viewfinder

ned1

<p>My Soviet Start SLR came with a bug in the viewfinder, but on it the pentaprism was removable.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, I did't get a picture of it before it fell out.</p>

<p>Some cameras are just buggier than others, and of course, this was common in the old USSR.</p>

<p>If you feel comfortable doing it, drop the screen and dust it off following advice you can find here at p'net and other web locations. It is very delicate and scratches easily. If hesitant, there are places that will do the work, incl. Nikon.<br>

An example of doing a removal can be seen here at the outset - <a href="http://www.focusingscreen.com/work/d700en.htm">http://www.focusingscreen.com/work/d700en.htm</a></p>

<p>Jim M.</p>

Point the camera at an old barn right

around sunset, and if the camera has a

built in HDR feature use it several

times in a row, set to Vivid. If the bug

has any taste, it will flee the camera as

fast as you can remove the lens. If the

bug is wearing a tiny beret, smoking,

and sipping an espresso, you may

have to resort to kitten photos.

<p>Something I've done that I wouldn't necessarily recommend to others: </p>

<p>Fired up my household vacuum with the crevice tool, and with a finger carefully covering the nozzle by just the right amount, bring the now reduced air intake velocity opening carefully and gradually toward the camera until there is noticeable air turbulence to dislodge (in my case) stubborn debris.</p>

<p>Matt's method sounds plausible but I suspect the first mirror slap will cause the tick to go SPLAT! :-) </p>

<p>It's probably not a tick, but some sort of mite. These used to be fairly commonly seen in film cameras, since they'd live off the gelatin of the film. They also appeared to like to sunbathe by crawling across the focusing screen and settling right in the middle. I'm surprised they find anything to eat in a DSLR though - maybe they've evolved to plug themselves into electrical circuits.</p>

<p>Seriously, they live off tiny amounts of moisture and probably any lubricant grease they can find, but they'll die eventually. Where they come from originally is a bit of a mystery. They look huge in the viewfinder but they're much less than a millimetre from end to end. A good blowing out of the camera with a rocket puffer might shift the little blighter(s). </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Point the camera at an old barn right around sunset, and if the camera has a built in HDR feature use it several times in a row, set to Vivid. If the bug has any taste, it will flee the camera as fast as you can remove the lens. If the bug is wearing a tiny beret, smoking, and sipping an espresso, you may have to resort to kitten photos.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Amen!!</p>

<p>ROFLOL</p>