How do I find my old posts?

Lou, at the very top of this page, or any forum page, you'll see your AVATAR in the upper right, next to the orange UPLOAD button. If you hover over that, you'll get a drop down menu with a few choices. Click on MY PROFILE. That will take you to a page with a large rectangular box full of info. At the bottom of that box, there's a subhead labeled COMMUNITY, under which you'll POSTS. When you click on that you'll get a list of all your posts. The problem is, there's no way to immediately get a list of all your posts (if you want to search through your entire posting history for something). As you scroll down, you'll periodically see an orange rectangle at the bottom of the page, which says LOAD MORE. Activate that to continue seeing more of your posts. I've never tried to get through my entire posting history because it would take too long. If you ever get through it all, you might be able to search everything. Anyway, that's the best I got!
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

1. Click on your name (lou_meluso)

2. Click "postings"

3. Scroll down and click on "find all threads by lou_meluso"

4. Click "Search Again"

5. Fill out search parameters (esp your name and the forums you are interested in and any text you are looking for and remember to unselect "All forums") and click search. Play around with search parameters.

I got it to work searching for your posts containing "kodak" in the CMC forum. I used an iphone, might be different on a desktop.

Louis, if you know what you are looking for you can use google search parameters from your browser (assuming google is the default search engine), e.g

site: Photo.net "Pentacon" "lou_meluso"

will find all threads containing the strings "Pentacon" and "lou_meluso" on site photo.net

Adding more search fields will reduce the number of results.

(note, there should be no space between site: and Photo.net as the editor interprets : P without the space as :p)

More stuff on google search parameters here Refine web searches - Google Search Help

Edited by Norman 202

Thank you again, Norman. It seems when I tried that the search word must be in the title for this to work. I didn't always title my posts for keyword searching sadly.

Michiel, Thanks for the tips. I have found that but understand I have 12 years worth of posts here. Makes it not impossible, but not easy to find stuff from long ago but a neat trick to check recent posts.

Normans suggestion for internal keyword search, which looks at both post title and thread content seems to do the trick but a bit more involved.

Edited by Lou_Meluso

It seems when I tried that the search word must be in the title for this to work. I didn't always title my posts for keyword searching sadly

Shouldn't work that way. eg

site: photo.net "lou_meluso" "Canon P" "Serenar" (without the space between : and p)

returns several threads by different people that contain the 3 search fields in title or text. Here's one of the threads with none of the keywords in the title

Good starter rangefinder?

and here's another with only "Canon P" in the title

Canon P

My secret is that when I took a "sabbatical" I saved pdfs of each of my posts.

JDM, that must have been a lot of work, and a measure of your dedication. For as long as I stick around here, I'll be glad you ended your sabbatical.

Like others, I have trouble finding old posts, whether they're mine or someone else's. I believe many of the very old ones ( particularly those > 10 years or so) are gone.

One of the reasons I came and stayed for a long time in the first place was that the site was archived.

When I went off, it was more that I wanted to keep my own contributions, perhaps even for a new site of my own (shades of Gene M.)

Now it's just a matter of saving to a pdf preview in pdf format after the post has been up for a day or so.

As others add items of interest, I continue to back up the file for a while.

I confess that I'm glad I have archived the posts, since I am no longer as confident that Photo.net will last much longer as an archive. I hope, and I persist, but those numbers of people logged on are not very encouraging.

I believe many of the very old ones ( particularly those > 10 years or so) are gone.

I've just checked a few forums and they all had threads going back to '97/98. To see for yourself, go to the forum and order the threads in date ascending order.

(of course, this isn't a lot of use in finding individual threads or disproving some threads may have gone missing)