How do I eliminate the shadows in my jewelry pictures?

<p>Hi all!<br>

I'm new to the forum but am told it's a great place for photography advice. I'm a jewelry designer about to launch my new website but the big hurdle I'm facing is photographing everything. I went to a camera store to ask for assistance and they told me my current camera (Canon powershot digital elph with a macro setting that allows me to adjust the white balance) would work just fine. I also have a lighting tent kit that came with two lights. I was told to find the darkest room and use those two lights to photograph the jewelry. I've done that and the pictures are very detailed and look decent but I'm having an issue with shadows...how do I eliminate the shadows in this situation? Do I need another light? Do I need different lightbulbs? Also, I would like to be able to take pictures any time of the day as I'm not always home during daylight hours. I can post a picture later but mainly the shadows are underneath the jewelry (should I try to light it from underneath as well as the sides?)<br>

I'm not a photographer so any advice would be most welcome! Thank you so much!<br>

Andrea</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks for the quick response! I have one of those exact lightboxes which I bought on Amazon --here's a link to the pics I've taken with it and you'll see the shadow dilemma.</p>

<p>

<a href="http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2208275132269.130714.1409179463&l=cbd1ce4048">http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2208275132269.130714.1409179463&l=cbd1ce4048</a>

</p>

<p>In the very similar business of artifact photography in archaeology it has been traditional to use back light from underneath through a raised opal (or diffuse) glass. You have to adjust the top lights for detail, but the light from from below, if balanced correctly, will eliminate shadows underneath.<br>

Experimentation is the key since every object will have its own needs for angles, and the like</p>

<p>Your light looks rather hard considering your setup. Can you post a picture of your setup (with lights in position and an object being photographed)? </p>

<p>Besides what JDM suggested, if you can get some separation from the background it will help. You can mount items at the end of a slender stick with the stick pointing directly away from the camera so it doesn't show.</p>

Having the setup on a glass top table with a light source on the floor off to the side would do the trick. Just enough light to burn out the shadows but not too bright to cause ghosting flare around the jewelry. Add extra sheets of paper to your backdrop to cut down the light if it is too much.

You exposures seem to be a bit off also. If you use the same lighting setup with the lights always the same distance from the jewelry, you should always use the same exposure setting. Find out what it should be. Get a gray card form a photo shop. Place it in the setup. Take a reading in AUTO. Write it down. Now when you place the jewelry there, set the camera to MANUAL and dial in that aperture and shutter speed setting.

James G. Dainis

<p>Buy and read the book "Light - Science & Magic" to learn how light work and how to light shiny objects. Light tents are seldom the best solution for jewelry photos. Search here on PN for jewelry and gemstone photography. The subject has been discussed many times with good suggestions for setups and equipment requirements.</p>

<p><Chas></p>

<p>Hello Andrea,<br /><br />Here is a short tutorial from Jim Talkington from pro photolife <a href="http://www.prophotolife.com/video-episode-21-small-product-problem-solving-in-the-studio/">http://www.prophotolife.com/video-episode-21-small-product-problem-solving-in-the-studio/</a>I think this will help you alot. also as Chas said light:science and magic is a<br />must have book.<br /> You could also build you own light tent. I built my own using these plans here is a <a href="http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/light_box_light_tent" target="_blank">link</a><br />. it is made of pvc and is easily disassembled and portable. you would have to<br />adjust for the size you want but I think it will still work.</p>

<p>When you photograph jewelry if you are able to put that piece on something to get it away from the background and you don't want to spend money on a soft box you can always use a white piece of poster paper and build an "L" like stand have the paper clipped to the top of the frame, with a curved bottom that is also held with clips position your jewelry on its pedestal and use a light without a flash and that should minimize your shadows. You may need to use two lights one on each side and even a 3rd light to white out the background. You could buy a soft box if you don't mind spending a little extra. You could also build your own for 20 bucks or less. Even use items around the house to build your background.</p>