horizontal tripod?? Please help!!!

park_trot

<p>

<p >I need to photograph a collection of old documents that cannot be run through a copy machine. The documents are standard letter size and will be on a flat table. I need to get a tripod that has a column that will extend over the table parallel to the ground/table top. I have a Canon EOS30D. I have checked out the X series from manfrotto, the explorer series from Gitzo, and the Induro alloyflex. I have also looked at the Benbo trekker. I need to be able to hold the camera as far as possible over the table. Any ideas???</p>

</p>

<p>Manfrotto makes a copy stand that may suit your needs. I was lucky and got a Kaiser RS1 in NH for $20 at a Ham Radio flea market many years ago. I used it to take pictures of ham radio construction projects for publication--even had a few cover photos. The right tool for the job really helps simplify photography.</p>

<p>I would second the scanner idea if the documents are a size that fits.</p>

<p>For camera copying, you do not necessarily have to make the tripod horizontal. All you need is a tripod that allows for a little independent leg spread, and a table (or floor) with enough real estate for the leg footprint. Here, for example, is a plain old Slik 400DX set up to give approximately a full frame shot of a magazine cover using a 50 mm. lens and a 35 mm. film camera.</p><div>00SjkO-115475584.jpg.c5b60d8bd7836488f9e458045c45cb24.jpg</div>

<p>What you need is a lateral arm. It mounts on the tripod and is a horizontal column which extends from the tripod. You mount the head on the end of the lateral arm like you would on the tripod. One catch here, extending the camera out from the center of the tripod requires either or both a suspended weight below the center of the tripod (the hook on the bottom of the column) and a counterbalance weight on the end of lateral arm. I use those wrap over studio weight on the tripod and lateral.</p>

<p>What size are the documents? If they are 16x20 inches or less, then a copy stand is the best solution. Once you get everything setup and parallel, you are good to go. There are fixtures to mount lights, and you don't have to change much between shots.</p>

<p>The next best thing is an horizontal arm for the tripod. Both Manfrotto and Gitzo have these items which can be used on any tripod. They are not as steady as a copy stand, and setup (getting things parallel) can be a PITA. Another alternative is to straddle the documents with a tripod. Gitzo makes one 8 feet tall which can straddle a Volkswagen. It makes a solid arrangement, but the legs get in the way of lighting.</p>

<p>I still contend that although a lateral arm is quite handy for many macro uses, for document copying, you simply do not need it. As shown above, a tripod with moderately short legs and independent latches can be arranged so that it tilts slightly over the work at a distance that allows copying. I have experimented with this, and with my wife's Bogen 3001 bpro, of similar size, which has a horizontal arm. The splayed-leg position is more stable.</p>

<p>I've done a lot of copying with a tripod and horizontal arm rig. It works very well, but I agree that it is overkill for a single copying project. One thing I can suggest that makes leveling the camera much easier is one of those dual bubble levels that fits on a hot shoe. Also, Manfrotto makes a simple, relatively inexpensive two way tripod head that is much easier to adjust than a regular pan and tilt head with long handles to poke you in the face during adjustment: 056 3-D head.<br>

<br /> I also think that scanning makes a lot of sense unless the paper the documents are on has a lot of surface texture that will create highlights in the direction of the scan.</p>