Homemade SLR

alvinyap

<p>Projects like this aren't about the end result - the camera itself - but the process involved in getting there, Drawing the blueprints, machining the parts, testing, re-machining, assembly, etc. It's also about learning how things work on a totally different level.</p>

<p>SLRs and rangefinders hide some impressively complex workings under often deceptively simple outward appearances. Sure, we know about curtains, and gears, and spools, and shutter dials, but how many of us know what's really going on in that classic SLR when we change from 1/500 to 1/125?</p>

<p>I can buy classic gear all day, but I'll never get quite the same level of satisfaction as I could taking pictures with a camera I built from scratch.</p>

<p>I'll tip my proverbial cap to this chap. Not only did he build the camera, but it took some pretty good shots, as well!</p>

<p>I admire what was accomplished!<br>

A group of friends and I restore and build classic/vintage cars and motor vehicles. Sometimes we have to make parts from scratch! Although not as complicated as what he has accomplished! Would be nice to have his experience and talent when rebuilding some of the older Wiper systems!</p>

<p>I thought that was just awesome. That guy must be a genuine machinist. What an inspiration!</p>

<p>Think on this: in just about every mid-sized town and city in the US, right now, there are probably many unemployed people with the skills and capabilities to perform just such tasks. This machinist in France did an awesome job of building that camera. Hell, yeah! That was amazing.</p>

<p>Many years ago in a model railroad magazine there was an article on how a modeler made a 35mm camera, with bellows that would tilt and shift, just like a large one. He used it to take impressive photos of his model creations. The article actually included all sorts of mechanical drawings, dimensions, etc. I can't imagine anyone else making one though.</p>