i have the Holga 120N....newer version of the S....and it has a hot shoe on it. Yeah, it actually is functional. So, any hot shoe mount flash will work just nicely. Or if you want it off cam (the flash), you can buy a hot shoe to sync cord adaptor, and depending on your flash, you can then just plug the snyc cord into your flash, if it has a sync cord plug, or if it is only hot shoe, you can put another adaptor on that end........clumsy, but it will work.

Now having said all that, I have "fired" the flash on my Holga and it does flash all the time........but I have never actually taken a pic with the set up.........so is it perfectly synced? I have no clue. I rarely use flash, prefer to push film if I need "light"

ANY flash with a standard shoe connector can be used on your camera. And it's not like there is anything that can be damaged in your camera. Simply buy an old flash unit with auto mode (aperture computer) that allows bounce flash on that big internet auction site and you will be set. My personal recommendations for cheapie flashes are the old Metz mecablitz or Agfa Agfatronic series.

Seems like I had a problem with flash coverage. My flash is set up for 35mm minimum focal length on a 35mm camera, which has the frame in landscape- anyway, the flash didn't cover the bottom of the frame on the Holga when close up. So try to get a flash that covers maybe 28mm or 24mm or use a good diffuser.

I read that you set the flash to f8. I also read that the flash fires when the shutter is pressed AND when it is released, so wait a second or two because some flashes can be damaged this way.(I've read) I just sent off my first Holga roll to get developed and took a few flash pics with my sunpack 383. The flash DID NOT fire when I released the shutter though.

• 3 weeks later...

Evan,

Yes, that is possible. For me it doesn't always happen (which is strange). Regardless though, my technique is to depress the shutter and to wait a few seconds and then release the shutter. So far, no problems.