Hensel Porty flash tube

mitch_merritt

<p>I have a Hensel Porty that has served me well for probably 8 years or so. The flash tube just burned out (it was probably time!). I have ordered a replacement thru Adorama, but the flash tube I was sent does not match what I have removed from my existing head. The tube I removed has a ground lead on it that is terminated in a spade terminal. The unit I received from Adorama has a bare wire lead with no termination.<br>

I have a couple of questions that perhaps someone can answer - is it safe to simply fasten that flying lead to the ground terminal on my existing head? If not, would anyone know where I can get the flash tube with the spade terminal at the end of that ground lead? I'm hoping some Hensel folks can help me out. </p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>you could also go to, say, an auto parts store or the hardware store, get some spade terminals and crimp/solder one on. If the attach point on the Porty head is a screw-down, you could just wrap the flying lead around the post (in a clockwise direction) and tighten the screw-down.</p>

<p>There's not a lot of magic in this.</p>

<p>No, I am not sure it is a ground wire (which is why I am asking). The wire on the older flashtube appears to be many wires twisted together and then crimped to the terminal, whereas the new one is just a single wire, not twisted or attached to anything. This wire in both cases is wrapped around the outside of the tube.</p>

<p>" <em>is it safe to simply fasten that flying lead to the ground terminal on my existing head?" </em>- as Charles indicates, this is not a ground wire. Safe ? perhaps is safe, but the flash will not work. The high voltage kick impulse would be shut down to the ground, and perhaps would not cause much harm, but one cannot be sure of it, depending on the flash design and body isolation, it could cause like a static voltage shock.</p>

<p>The polarization HV circuit is a very low power impuls, and is exactly like a static shock when taking off a woolen sweater in a dry room, and could shoot through not propery isolated flash ground enclosure, for this high voltage impulse, when connected improperly.</p>

<p>Only behawior of proper connection could be known, while wrong connection behaviour is just a guess.</p>

<p>This wire receives very high voltage low energy polarizing impulse. E.g. 5kV to 40 kVolt. Your flash must have a well isolated terminal to connect to this polarizing wire. <br /> If you connect this wire to a grounding terminal, your flash will not work.</p>

<p>Some flash tubes have polarizing wire mesh. Some cheaper tubes have metal conductive paint strip instead of wire.</p>

<p>The flash tube takes Positive and Negative terminals for high energy capacitor discharge, and the polarizing wire or paint for very low energy and very high voltage. It does not have or needs any grounding.</p>