[Help] Oly om-d e-m1 Buzzing sound when focusing

zhangxin_liu

<p>Hi guys,</p>

<p>It will be really appreciated to hear from you that whether having the same experience with this:</p>

<p>Does your om-d e-m1 make a slight buzzing noise when focusing? When the came left on (and not focusing), this buzzing noise is gone. As soon as I am trying to focus on any subject, it starts to make this buzzing noise.<br>

It happens with both 12-40 Pro lens and 75 1.8 lens. <br>

I am a Canon/Fujifilm user and just jumped on board...</p>

<p>Thank you all!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The IBIS shouldn't make any noise when focusing as it only becomes active when you press the shutter. And if you're using fast enough shutter speeds you shouldn't hear it at all.</p>

<p>I don't use the E-M1 but, as far as I know, the IBIS should operate the same as it does on all other Olympus M43 cameras i.e. as I mentioned above.</p>

If you have the IBIS set to activate when you press the shutter halfway (as I have my EM-5 set), you will hear a slight sound from the IBIS until you release the shutter. I have my camera set this way so that I get a stabilized image when I compose the image and is similar to how Canon IS works. Keep in mind that the sound of the IS unit on a Canon lens is a lot further from you ears (and buried behind a lot more metal, plastic, and glass) than the IBIS unit in Oly cameras.

<blockquote>

<p>If you have the IBIS set to activate when you press the shutter halfway (as I have my EM-5 set), you will hear a slight sound from the IBIS until you release the shutter.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>+1<br>

I think the E-M10 even came with this setting as default. I don't remember the default for the E-M1, but yes, the IBIS will make a light buzzing sound, nothing to worry about.</p>

<p>Most camera emit some faint sounds that are normal. Often we don't notice them until we try one with an eye level finder that puts the camera closer to our ears, or use the camera in a quiet environment.</p>

<p>The Fuji X-A1 emits faint whirring sounds from the sensor cleaner, lens AF and stabilizer, but you'd hardly notice them when the camera is held away from the face as we normally do with rear screen-only cameras - usually only the shutter is clearly audible.</p>

<p>Some lenses for the Nikon V1 and other 1 System cameras emit a distinctive faint squeaky sound when the AF is hunting in dim lighting. I can also hear just the faintest sound from the aperture closing and opening, but only with the camera switched to electronic rather than mechanical shutter. The stabilizer in the 10-30 VR lens is so quiet I have to hold the lens barrel near my ear to hear it - it's inaudible with the camera held normally to use the eye level finder.</p>

<p>The Nikon and Canon forums routinely get questions about odd whirring and buzzing sounds from first time owners of stabilized lenses. Some are more noticeable than others, particularly the older larger Nikkor VRs.</p>

• 2 weeks later...