HELP needed quickly: Which of these 2 desktops can handle photoshop and similar programs

<p>I know there are quite a few recommendations on what specs to look for in a computer in order to use photoshop efficiently, but after doing hours of research, I'm really exhausted. I'm still trying to interpret multiple-core quad-core, etc. So without delaying any further and before the two computers I've selected get sold out, here are my choices in terms of specs.I only put down the specs I understood. I won't mention 'brands' since I don't want to complicate the issue, and besides, I probably wouldn't understand the explanations. Here are my two choice, but I need to act fast. I did notice that one of them has wireless capacity.<br>

Or, is it simply a matter of either one would do? BTW, I'd rank myself half-way between casual user and professional.<br>

P.S. I have a friend that writes the most abstruse academic papers and books that are published by academic presses. I was watching him work one day, and I said, "Now I know why you like to write about those arcane subjects. You just like testing the features of your computer! - He told me that was at least 50% of the motivation. But I'm not of that camp. I just want a computer that won't freeze up as my current older computer does. Anyway, here are the 2 choices. I got as much of the specs as I could, and I still don't quite understand all of them. But I understand enough, I think.<br>

<strong>COMPUTER 1</strong><br>

<br>

</p>

<p >Intel® Core™ i5-3330 processor (6M Cache, up to 3.2 GHz)</p>

<p >8GB2 Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz -</p>

<p >1TB Hard Drive, 3.5", 7200rpm, SATA -</p>

<p >Intel® HD Integrated Graphics</p>

<p ><strong>COMPUTER 2</strong></p>

<p ></p>

<p ></p>

<p >Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4 ghz -</p>

<p >8GB DDR3-1333 RAM -</p>

<p >2TB 7,200RPM Hard Drive -</p>

<p >Intel HD Graphics 4000 -</p>

<p >SuperMulti DVDRW Drive -</p>

<p >Multi-in-One Memory Card Reader -</p>

<p > 10/100/1000 Network -</p>

<p >802.11b/g/n Wireless</p>

<p>Hi,<br>

There's not a lot to choose between them. An important consideration is screen size and resolution if you are going to be using Photoshop a lot. Get a high res. display and if possible a big screen. It will make photo editing for of a pleasure than a chore.<br>

8Gb of memory seems fine. If you can stretch to it, get a quad-core i7 processor.<br>

Integrated graphics is not great but unless you plan on playing comp. games you should be fine. if you plan on gaming or 3D rendering get a quality dedicated video card.</p>

<p>You don't say which version of Photoshop you're using, so either one of these might be enough. Out of these, I'd go with #2. Brand does make a difference though. Especially when it comes to customer service and repair. That is something to think about. There is a noticeable performance gain with the i7 chip. Upping to 16 gig of ram is a good idea as well. </p>

<p>Youre computer "freeze up"? Is this the best description you can give because it can be put down to a lot of things. Any multi-core computer should be freeing up the mouse and keyboard so you can do something else whilst it's doing something with a photo. Any four-core computer has plenty of horsepower nowadays. Your second candidate has a faster processor and bigger drive.</p>

<p>I'm not sure what vintage computer we're comparing to. Modern computers are, generally speaking, pretty fast. If you do a big, slow operation in Photoshop (some filters), you might see a small difference in how long they have to spend thinking, but either of these could be an enormous jump up from something that's (say) 4-5 years old. Though if you want to speed up the old computer, defragging the hard disk, putting in a solid state drive (though big ones are expensive), possibly adding some more RAM, and/or reinstalling the operating system might make a lot of difference without needing a complete replacement.</p>

<p>When you do get the new computer check out the possibilities of using your old HD as an external drive for back-up purposes. <br>

Without really knowing what all the figures mean I am sure I am happilly working with much less ... but then I only have a 16Mp camera and notice the difference with my older 10Mp files. I imagin somebody with more Mp might have concerns.<br>

The question about 'which PS' you are using is also valid as later programmes are more cluttered up with goodies we probably do not really need.</p>

<p>Even today's entry level computers can handle PhotoShop chores quite well. I use a bottom of the line 2012 Mac Mini with 16GB RAM and it has no problem processing 3GB psb files. I use a 240GB Sandisk SSD as my startup drive and a 4TB striped external HD connected via Thunderbolt for my photos. I'm getting 350 mb/s throughput from the external HD. The largest files take 6-8 seconds to load.</p>

<p>The key is getting a monitor you can calibrate and learning how to do so. I have an NEC P221W as my working monitor and an old Sony 17-inch monitor I use for my palettes. Don't stress over people who say you need to fastest computer available. I work on a variety of digital images, from originals shot with a Canon D30 (3MP) to medium format and 4x5 drum scans (600MB) and my humble computer handles them fine.</p>

<p>Also, don't forget to budget for a backup hard drive. </p>

<p>Ditto the large display suggestion. Mac displays are nothing special. I use Dell UltraSharp monitors with my Mac Pro desktops. If I were putting together a 'competent' system right now, I would go with a Mac Mini with an SSD boot, loaded with aftermarket memory, an external 7200rpm HD for storage and a 30" Dell UltraSharp. I would purposely avoid an iMac because of the difficulty in upgrading vs the Mini. And the Mac Mini system, when assembled as I described, will be in the same ballpark as a 27" iMac. FWIW, there are no 30" iMacs presently available that I'm aware of, only 27" max screen size.</p>

<p>I'm using an i5 3.0GHz 8Gb Ram PC and handle some reasonably large files with no freeze-ups or undue delay, using CS5/NIK suite and LR. Looking at the above suggestions I have taken up an recommend a large screen able to be calibrated -in my case a Dell Ultrasharp 2410 , and a second hard drive that I use for primary photo storage ( backups are always to a range of external HD). <br>

So my answer is that either should do. </p>

I'd go with a 27" iMac and not look back. Fast, excellent display, plenty of ports, and great design.

In fact, I have one at another place I stay at. At the end of the day, the experience is the same as the

MacPro I use when I'm at home. Though the iMac display is much better than than the external large

screen Dell I use with my MacPro.

The iMac is a pleasure to use...

www.citysnaps.net

<p>All the new machines are great. If possible avoid the desktop and get a notebook. Macs are too expensive and I am currently using a Sony Vaio with Windows 7 (MS finally got it right) and in heaven. If you want the best Photoshop replacement check out this site and it is free. <a href="http://ipiccy.com/">http://ipiccy.com/</a>. Good-luck.</p>

<p> </p>