Heighth adjustment on V750?

I read Vincent's review of the V700/V750 wherein he found out that setting the

film holder heighth to the higher setting resulted in much sharper scans. My

question is (having just received mine and haven't opened the box yet!)from

anyone who's used one, does this hold true of all of these or should I expect to

need to do test scans of my own to determine the optimum heighth setting for my

specific scanner? TIA.

John, I've had a V700 for a few weeks and have been trying out different negatives. With one 6x7 chrome, I found that shimming the holder an extra 0.5 mm above the highest adjustment resulted in a sharper scan all over. A test with a 35mm chrome has been inconclusive. Until I find that one setting is definitely better, I will scan each negative or chrome at various heights and pick the sharpest. This scanner is a big improvement over my 2450.

John -

<p>

You will definitely want to invest the time to determine which setting is the best for you because with some scanners (Vincent's was a good example), it does make a difference. I was pleasantly surprised to find the best setting for me was the standard 3.0 mm. I am testing now with a holder that allows for finer adjustments and will see if 3.0 remains the best setting. Remember, your film needs to be held consistently flat in the holder for your tests to be valid. If you film has a serious bow to it when you test, the results of your test might not apply to a piece of film that is flat or bows in the other direction.

<p> Doug<p>

<a href="http://www.betterscanning.com">BetterScanning.com</a>

Question: How exactly do you adjust the film holder height on the V750 ? I purchased the unit about a month ago and as far as I can tell the film holder has two little protruding legs that fit into two holes on the frame of the scanner.

There is nothing as far as I can see that will let you adjust the height of the film holder. Unlees if maybe you do not place the protruding legs of the film holder inside the holes on the side of the scanner.

I'm not particularly crazy about the film holder for 35mm on this scanner. If you are using film that is curled you are going to have a heck of a time trying to place the film inside the holder.

Another thing is that it does not hold the film flat like on the microtek.

Another problem is that this unit is supposed to have a feature that reads the blank spaces between the negatives thereby allowing you to just press the start button once the film is in the holder. After the scan is complete every frame of the film should be in its proper file.

Does it work no not really. Sometimes the unit places 2 different frames inside one picture. To solve this problem there is a tracing tool that allows you to trace around each frame which then solves the problem, but it is very time consuming.