Graflex Filmholders and Graflock backs...

capocheny

According to www.graflex.org

"The Graflex Back was offered on some Pacemaker models as an option, but is usually found on the "Graflex" SLR cameras. It features separate removable focusing panel, as in the Graflok back, but is not a desirable feature on a Graphic. Graflex back cut film holders and Grafmatic backs are a larger size than Graphic and Graflex back items, and are often difficult to obtain."

see http://www.graflex.org/speed-graphic/features.html#GraflokBack

Nick

Hi Nick,

Thanks kindly for the answer. I'm thinking I should have elaborated on the type of camera

these holders are destined for...

The holders are designated for a Deardorff 5x7 with a standard graflock back. From my

reading of the link you posted... it doesn't sound sound like a fit. :(

I've also read somewhere that there are grooves in the holders and that these must fit into

grooves in the back of the camera... or something like that?

Any other comments? :)

TIA

Cheers

A point to rremember is that the Graflex company made two types of holders.

One is the very common graphic holder which has a ridge designed to fit into a groove in the back of the camera focusing panel.

The other has has a groove designed to fit over the ridge made into the back of the Graflex cameras.

The two are not interchangeable.

Graflex corp. used many varriations of its name resulting in confusion for general users, thus: Graphic back=focus panel mounted on springs allowing film holders to be sliped between the frame and focus panel also called a spring back, accepts film holders often called standard type. Graflex back=no focus panel, fixed bar on bottom and sliding bar on top to secure film holder, ridge on back of camera mates into valley on film holder to form light trap, graflex film holder 1/4 inch wider and same length as standard film holders. Graflok back=became industry standard, sliding bar top and bottom to secure film holder to back, removable focus panels, accepts what became industry standard film holders with single or double bar on darkslide end with the inner one mating with valley in camera back to form the light trap. Graflex Riteway film holders are graflok type and will work with most cameras, Graflex graflex film holders will not. Graflex backs were for the SLR series of cameras but were put on Pacemaker cameras upon request of photographers who used the SLR's as a convience. Simple solution=look at the light trap, single or bouble bar=graflok; valley=graflex.

Not trying to hijack your thread, but I have the Graflok back on my pacemaker and find it is difficult to fine focus with a loup given my aged eyes. Does anyone else have this problem with this fine 4x5 camera? How do you handle the problem? Remove the graflok back and focus w/ the dark cloth and loupe? Thanks for everyone's input. JW

hi there -

i've tons of the grooved 4x5 holders, but none of the 5x7 ones.

you might give look to a place like equinox photographic ( equinoxphotographic.com ) a

call. they tend to have just that sort of thing.

they are nice folks too.

good luck!

Hi all,

Dave,

I was considering buying graflex film holders for my 5x7 Dorff... they were on *ba* and I

thought I'd pose the question here before making a bid. At the end of the day... I decided

against bidding.

Jon,

Not a problem... ask away! :)

J,

Thanks for the lead...

Cheers all!

Let's get out terms together.

Gralex 4X5 film holders have a different depth (several thousandth of an inch different) than the standard Graphic 4x5 film holder and the physical size is slightly different.

Calumet's former owner (Fred Perkins, still, I think) owns Graphic, Lisco, and Fidelity film holders, that is just about 99% of the business.

Lynn