Good developer for pan f and hp 5 from Photographers' Formulary

keith_merrill

Howdy all,

I would like to get some chemicals from Photographers' Formulary and

would like to know from users what a good developer for pan f and hp

5 would be. I am shooting 35mm and 645. I would like to use only

one developer for both, but if you have found better results from

two, I am all ears. I know its a fairly broad question, but I would

like a starting point with this company. Thanks all.

Slow films and fast films are generally not at their optimum in the same developers. Slow films require very gentle, soft developers (dilute, compensating developers usually based on Metol, such as Neofin Blue or Acutol, or highly diluted Rodinal), while fast films require solvent, fine-grain, somewhat more active developers based on phenidone (Microphen, UFG, Acufine, etc.).

I am not sure why you are confining yourself to what is available from Photographers' Formulary, as their primary offerings are raw chemicals.

My choice for a single developer for these films would be D76 1:1, or Acutol.

HB

You can pretty much make up whatever takes your fancy when ordering from 'Formulary...<p> If you are considering making up an order, think hard about what you might want to do. I have an article from Darkroom mag (alas, now defunct) which gives the quantities needed to put together a kit to make up pretty much most of the popular developers... I could look it up if you like.<p>

However, if you are looking for one developer for most uses you can't go wrong with the basic "Gainer" developer, all you need to order then is Metol and/or Phenidone... All the rest of the ingredients are commonly found via the Health food store, Hardware store, Pool suppliers and Supermarket. Very inexpensive to make, fine grained and excellent speed.<p>

Good luck, Nicholas

I like Photographer's Formulary. I have used their version of FX-2 (a Crawley formulation), which they call TFX-2. It is a good developer for slower films like Pan F. It is a speed increasing, accutance developer.

For HP5, I like Xtol, so I can't help you with a PF developer there. Although I have developed HP5 in TFX-2, it came out with grain pattern that was a little strange. You could try it and see if you like that look, but TFX-2 and FX-2 were not designed for faster films.

If you are already ordering from PF, I would suggest getting their alkaline fixer, TF-4. It eliminates the need to use perma-wash and reduces general washing time.

I used WD2D+ with HP5, with good results. It should work OK with Pan F as well, though I haven't tried it. Now that I think of it, I may try it with Pan F. I've never been able to get Pan F's contrast under control, and WD2D+ is definitely a lower contrast developer. Hmmmmmm..... With other films, such as HP5, you may find that you need to increase the amount of stock solutions (I've gone up 20%), or increase your times to get appopriate contrast. When it's right, though, WD2D+ yields good sharpness, excellent shadow detail, and highlights that just keep going.

Amen to the TF-4 fixer; it's a godsend to us fiber printers!

Mind you, I have no quarrel with Photographer's Formulary except that their prices are a bit on the high side. I've used Rodinal 1+50 for PanF+ with beautiful results, but it's not so good for HP5+ - especially in 35mm. Some of my best results with HP5+ have been either with XTOL or D-76. Use the XTOL at 1+3 if you're shooting in contrasty light for a bit of compensation, but please makae sure that you use at least 150ml of stock solution per roll. I'm fairly certain that's more than Kodak's recommended minimums, but it has always worked for me and the stuff is not that expensive. Otherwise, it's really hard to go wrong with D-76 diluted 1+1. This is my general, all purpose, never fail developer. It may not be the best for everything, but it's pretty darned good with just about anything.