Giving Clients permission to print the images I sold them

boinkerkeys

<p>Recently I have had a couple or more clients, for whom I took portraits, have trouble when trying to get their images printed. My portrait package includes a CD with all their images that they can take wherever they like to be printed. Is there a standard form that I can include for them so that they won't get hassled at the printer? They are told that they need the photographer's permission to print their images. Thoughts?</p>

<p>I would just make one up .........there is a risk in that if the color is off, it reflects badly on you when they show their friends/family.<br>

You may want to consider keeping control of that process at least as an option.<br>

Get some samples made from your local Walgreens/Costco/Sams etc......and some from a color corrected pro lab (MPIX, WHCC etc) and show them the difference.<br>

Costco can do a good job if you use their ICC Profiles for your local store, but then you are in control, hard for the customers to do this.</p>

<p>I routinely sell the cd as a part of my business model. That way if the family wants prints they can get them and don't have to come back through me for them. </p>

<p>The form I use is a pretty simple print release - contains client's name, address, sitting date, and wording to the effect that they may make as many prints of the images as they wish - but that they do not own copyright, nor may they sell the images or enter them in any contest claiming to be the photographer. </p>

<p>Even with the form - I occasionally will get a call from a printer or client asking me if they indeed may print the images. </p>

<p>I've been doing this for 6 + years and have yet to get a complaint or call saying - the color or white balance is off. So either my clients or the labs they go to have it figured out. </p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>For situations like this I include a pdf file which is on my letterhead and grants my permission for the bearer of the disk to have prints made. <br>

All of my delivered images always have a copyright notice within the file information, and since I've started including the pdf file my clients have not had any problems.<br>

As an aside, if you allow your clients to post your images on their Facebook pages, and you have your copyright info in the appropriate file info field, your copyright will show up under the photos when they're posted.</p>