Gitzo Series 1 center column diameter?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by david_r._edan, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Huh.. saw this old thread of mine bumped.
    Well, if you don't think that wind is a big a deal, you should try a long lens like a 400mm, in low light and I'm not talking about no large format. How about a 2-second exposure in a 3-mph wind? 3 mph is nothing special but it's enough to make your pictures pretty blurry.... (not really that pretty, actually) and I'm speaking from experience. I don't care what camera or tripod you have, wind and picture-taking don't really mix all that well.

In my backpack I always carry a triangular, collapsible black reflector. I can't tell ya how many photos that thing has rescued. And in stronger winds (like 12 mph) having something like that between the wind and camera can make the difference between shooting at 1/125 instead of having to shoot at 1/4000 (that's: ISO 100, instead of 3200).
    I tied a piece of para-cord to one corner of that reflector and it usually goes around the back of my neck. I then, in my one hand, hold the far side of the reflector, the end of that para-cord and the cable release, while the other hand is free to manipulate the camera.

PS: I'm enjoying that tripod (with that awesome Gitzo bubble level) even more, now that I got me a camera phone. Shooting RAW and stitching awesome HDR panos, keeping everything level on steep mountain slopes.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
  2. A black reflector.
    That's something you don't see every day. Or at all at night!

3. Well, I don't see one everyday either but it does happen once in a while. It all depends on the wind conditions and what I'm shooting.

If you want, you can see some pictures of black reflectors right now. Just go to B&H's site and type "black reflector" in the search box. Technically, they're named "absorbers" but nobody calls them that. Mine's a triangle.

Also, I said 'low light', not 'night'. I know what you meant but I don't want anyone to be getting the wrong picture. When you have a X1.4 TC attached to a 300/4 lens, it becomes an "f-5.6". Now, when you stop that lens down to F-8, it is actually at F-11, in terms of light. It's easy to find yourself in a "long exposure" situation, even when there's still plenty of light left, especially if you're doing an HDR and 'overexposing' for the shadows. Pulling off something like that when there's even a slight breeze is tricky, impossible if not prepared, unless blurry and/or grainy pictures is your goal.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020