Generic BP-511 batteries

peter_popp1

I have had three of them, all worked as well as the canon batteries as far as I could tell. Did not put them head to head so to speak. The one I am surrently use in a 30D is by Digipower, who ever that is. Got it at Best Buy. Works great!

What you have to look out for are the fake Canon branded batts going around. Saw one in Pop Photography Mag that cought on fire during chargeing. If it has the Canon name onit expect to pay the Canon price.

Jason

Hi,

I bought some no-name generics off eBay: four for $24, including shipping. Quite a savings from the Canon (~$45 ea.)

I was surprised when I rec'd the generics to see they are rated 1500 mAh, while the Canon 511As are 1350 and the 511s are 1100.

For several months now I've been using the generics extensively right alongside four Canon BP511s and two Canon BP511A and don't see any real difference in performance, aside from the higher capacity batts lasting a bit longer between charges. They have all been used hard in 10D and 30D, sometimes with I.S. lenses that can drain batts pretty quickly. The 30D is a kinder to batteries than the 10D, too.

With it's grip installed (two batteries), the 10D gets about 600 shots to a charge.

Also with a grip and two batts, the 30D gets more like 1000+ shots.

Note: I never use internal flash, and usually don't have time to do a lot of heavy reviewing on the LCD, just a quick exposure check now and then, and maybe an occasional image peep.

My China-made, $2.99 E-Bay batteries of this type work better than any of my Canon ones ever did. They charge faster, the charge holds a whole lot longer, and they have had a longer life without as much loss of performance as the Canon ones. Don't ask me why; it's odd but true. I got four of them delivered for $28. Check the fine print re: shipping before you buy.

keith

A word of caution about the Sterlingtek batteries: I ordered several, and the first one I put in my 5D jammed halfway in. Fortunately, I hadn't used too much force, and I was able to pry out the battery without damaging the camera. I carefully checked the other three batteries I had ordered from them, and all three were bigger than the standard BP-511 size and wouldn't fit. I've heard others report the same thing on this forum.

My overall experience with generic batteries has been quite good. Other than the negative experience Sterlingtek, generics have worked as well as the Canon battery that came with the camera.

Another plug for Sterlingtek, I've got two 2000mah "Powwer" generic BP511s made in China and they work great. I put them into a BG-E2 grip over a 4-day weekend of shooting at an airshow with a 30D and 100-400L and 17-85, both with IS on and average use of playback, I got 3900 shots before I changed them out for freshly charged batteries, just because I didn't want to take the chance of missing anything. They likely would have lasted another few hundred shots.

Canon branded batteries are right up there with $50 lens hoods as far as "worst bang for the buck" goes in my opinion.