Fuji X100: A digital M for less than 7k?

<p>So I (like many of you I'm sure) have been eyeing the new Fuji X100. It seems to me to be a very good digital M solution. It's lens is equivalent to 35mm (in 35mm) it has dials for aperture and shutter speed. It's also about the same size and shape as an analog M and the pictures from it look great. Especially in the comparison to the Leica X1 that is posted at Leica Rumors. My question is... How does the manual focus system work? Can you focus through the OVF or do you need to use the EVF or LCD? Anyone have strong feelings about this beautiful thing anyway?</p>

<p>The X100 has very pretty cosmetics, and the viewfinder technology looks interesting. Beyond that I'm not much interested. If it were M-mount and actually had a rangefinder, maybe, but it isn't and doesn't.</p>

<p>The X1 isn't an M solution either. It's just a digital P&S with a large sensor and an expensive luxury name on the front.</p>

<p>It can't use an M mount lens so I would never call it a digital M. Besides the M8, M9, and Epson RD-1 you can mount M lenses on the upcoming M module for the Ricoh GXR, and the Micro 4/3 and Sony NEX cameras.</p>

<p>Back to the Fuji, the optical viewfinder is always "in focus" just like a rangefinder viewfinder. There is no rangefinder spot. You do get a distance scale superimposed so if you know the subject is 10 ft away you can focus until it says 10 ft. The EVF is TTL so you'll see what's in and out of focus. Of course there is an AF system and most people will probably use that.</p>

<p>@Craig. Using Leica glass on crop bodies is lame. The magnification factor really sucks. Using them on micro 4/3 is lame because its a huge magnification factor and theres no vf. I say "Digital M" because I think that if you use a 35mm lens always it could be the closest you could get in terms of user experience to shooting say an M2 with a 35mm lens on it without buying an M8 or M9. It might be an even more favorable solution for non-professionals than an M8 or M9. The M8 is very expensive for being so low tech. The 10mp sensor is very out dated and adding IR lenses and losing stops is expensive and annoying. An M9 is just really expensive. So when I say digital M I guess I don't mean digital M as much as I mean M experience in digital. It would be interesting to see if they could use the hybrid VF to make a digital RF spot in the VF that would really be a great feature.</p>

<p>I think shooting film and advancing it manually is an integral and irreplaceable part of the M experience. The M9 is as close as you're likely to get in digital, and yes, it is expensive. But anything else just isn't in the ballpark. The M8 is less expensive, but the crop sensor obviously changes things. 10 MP, however, is perfectly good resolution for many purposes.</p>

<p>As I'm sure someone must have pointed out at some point, it's more like a digital Hexar AF, and it will probably end up enjoying a similar cult status. Maybe it will sell well enough to convince Fuji to produce a digital Contax G (i.e. an interchangeable lens version).</p>

<p>Pongpeera - The poster is just wrong. There is no loss of light associated with the UV/IR filter. According to the Leica M8 FAQ:<br />"The LEICA UV/IR filters limit only the infrared and ultraviolet light from passing through. The extension factor is 1.0, so you do not have to calculate any exposure compensation."</p>

<p>For all intents and purposes it probably is going to be a great camera. Personally, I wish it had a rangefinder instead of autofocus, but from what I have been able to read about it (and yet to see personally), it is going to be a great little camera and I think their decision to stay with a fixed lens at 35mm was very, very smart. And have you seen the pre-production photos taken at 6,400 iso on dpreview.com? Amazing!</p>

<p>I got my hands on one at the CES show in Las Vegas. The viewfinder is fantastic. Manual focus is simple and easy. Anyone who thinks this camera is strictly a point & shoot is either mis-informed or doesn't know much about photography.</p>

<p>Go here for endless discussions about it:</p>

<p>http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159</p>

<p>With the OVF, you can manually focus using the scale at the bottom of the frame. Using this method, you can do a quasi zone focusing. Using the EVF, the subject is magnified for very precise focus. Either way works well because the viewfinder is big and bright. You can also use auto focus and then manually turn the focus ring to fine tune. That's the fastest...at least it is for me.</p>

<p>I have a couple of well known pro friends who have been using it for about a week and are blown away...and they are M users. From what they are telling me of the camera, I have a feeling my getting this thing will pretty much kill off any desire I have to get an overpriced M9 ( which I rented for a week long job last year ).</p>

<p>If you are like me and shoot a 35mm 90% of the time for discreet people work in professional situations, this camera with it's optics, speed, size, *silent* operation and incredible viewfinder not to mention close focus will make buying the M9 look foolhardy when the final resulting X100 image hits the printed page.<br /> I honestly think M digital users better brace them selves for what truly talented pros and amateurs actually pull off with this killer new camera, which is lighter and smaller than a M6 with a 35 Cron on it by the way...</p>

<p>When I first handled the X1 two things struck me.<br>

First, it was overpriced.<br>

Second, why couldn't Leica come up with a digital CM at about the same price (I paid $1250 CDN for my CM)<br>

Well...Fuji's done exactly that.<br>

Hooray for them...Mine should be in my hands in about two weeks.</p>

<p>Not to dispute you, Martin, but I'm curious as to what you're shooting, and how often, at f2 at 1/4000th. Would the built-in ND filters help in this regard?</p>

<p>This is one of the shortcomings of this camera if you're always at those extremes.</p>

<p> </p>