Fuji X-E1 and X-Pro1 firmware updates are live!

<p>Both cameras have firmware updates that improve AF performance and add focus peaking in manual focus (for both Fuji AF lenses and lenses on adapters): http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/#firmware</p>

<p>Firmware for several of the lenses also updated for the improved AF: http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/#lens_firmware</p>

<p>Initial reaction: This is an improvement. The 35mm lens focuses quicker and hunts less. I'll have to see how it does in low light. The focus peaking seems to work well</p>

<p>And they are as advertised. I updated yesterday and the focus speed improvements are real. Even the 60, the slug of the group is notably faster, not as fast as a DSLR but quite an improvement. The 18-55 and 35, my most used lenses for "faster" work are considerably better. The MF "peaking" is interesting. I've not used it to make any images yet but have just ordered a Fotodiox Nikon G lens adapter and look forward to trying it with my 80 f/1.8 and perhaps to play a bit with the 24 or 45 tilt shift, the lenses will look a bit silly hanging of the diminutive X E-1. All in all impressive work for a small company which is improving an existing camera instead of coming out with a new model every 6 months with these small but significant improvements.</p>

<p>Is it just me or is a) the Fuji website completely cumbersome and b) their instructions insufficient? I had to give it several tries to get the "aha" effect - after my camera told me that there was an update available and I thought I had installed it. No. Can only do with the lens on. Duh!</p>

<p>Looks like they pulled the X-Pro1 firmware but not the X-E1. X-Pro1 users who don't shoot video don't seem to be having problems and are liking the new version because of the AF improvements and focus peaking.</p>

<p>I read elsewhere that they expect a revised firmware by early next week or the end of the weekend. </p>

<p>I agree the Fuji site is poorly designed. When I click the Download Now button I expect a download to begin, but instead am taken to a page where I have to scroll down to see yet another Download link. Fuji really needs someone to clean the UI on their site.</p>

<p>However, kudos to Fuji for listening to their customers and updating their cameras' firmware swiftly and effectively. I switched from Canon to Fuji and am not looking back. </p>

<p>There is something odd about how the Fuji site interacts with browsers. When they update a page, sometimes it needs a "hard refresh". On some browsers holding the shift key when reloading does it, or you might need to clear cache (or just open the page in a browser you don't normally use that hasn't seen the page recently). Fuji should do something about this, but for whatever reason they don't seem to do a great job with web sites. E.g., try to find out what films Fuji currently sells some time.</p>

<p>That said, here's an example of Fuji doing well with the actual product: There's now a version 3.01 that purports to fix the error. It's at:<br>

http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/firmware/x/xpro1/index.html<br>

(If you don't see "X-Pro1 Firmware Update Ver.3.01" in big letters you need a hard refresh.)</p>