Fuji Pro 800Z Discontinued...

<p>http://www.photographyblog.com/news/fujifilm_to_discontinue_fujicolor_pro_800z/</p>

<p>this was one of my favourite emulsions, i've shot some of my best photos on it and i was just going to start experimenting with pushing it to 1600!</p>

<p>i've read fuji press 800 is half the price but grainier and kodak portra 800 breaks up in the shadows too fast for my liking.</p>

<p>i feel like i'm one of the last people on the titanic just before the stern went under.</p>

<p>okay so i called fujifilm usa product support and 'rob' tells me that in the US there has been no official word of pro 800z being discontinued.</p>

<p>he seemed somewhat ambivalent in his response which sounds much like answers to similar questions at my company nowadays. s</p>

<p>so i'm sorry if i have been an alarmist but the idea of losing this film shocks me. while i know that it is a bit of a specialty film, when i need it, nothing works quite like it. i use it for indoor work without a flash and the bulk of my abandoned hospital work is shot on it and 400h. it took some experimenting to find this combination and i've come to know 800z very well. personally i am just going to stock up because i'm running kinda low anyway and this frightens me.</p>

<p>anyone who hasn't tried it, if you normally use 400 in doors but would like to stop down a little or stop motion, i really recommend 800z because the grain is at least as fine as a 400.</p>

<p>thanks for the suggestions of other films. i meant to say that porta breaks up for me, the 400, haven't tried 800 so i will. also, i have never been happy with superia 800, may as well go to 1600 for the grain and lack of saturation. </p>

<p>From UK's photographyblog.com: Fujifilm press release:</p>

<p>

<p><strong>Fujifilm streamlines film range</strong><br>

Fujifilm Professional is to discontinue one of its slower moving lines of film, from September 2009 production of Fujicolor Pro 800Z will cease. The company has a limited supply of the film in stock, enough to satisfy demand until approximatively November 2009.<br>

Fujifilm’s Product Manager for Professional Film, Russ Gunn, explained the decision: “We have decided to remove all formats of Pro 800Z from our range due to low sales volume. By streamlining our selection of Professional film we can ensure our strong selling lines are protected.”</p>

</p>

<p>omg you got to be kidding me.. there's not going to be anything left to push process and shoot concerts with. First it was the Supra which was THE best film to shoot concerts with ever. Now the 800Z.. there's nothing left. Kodak's 800 turns to crap when push processed and isn't usable. Superia is.. I guess my only option now. This is really upsetting to me.</p>

<p>ETA: someone on another board said that it's only being discontinued in the UK but will still be available in the US..</p>

<p>I did like the Fuji 800Z. Moderately over-saturated, but not out of control. I found the color tones very true, it was just the saturation that's boosted.<br>

However, I generally prefer something more natural in saturation levels, and the results with the latest Kodak Portra 800 (edge marked 800-2) have been very fine. However, underexposed in tungsten light, it does fall apart. I suspect when you try and burn in the shadows (after scanning), curve crossover bites you. You have to meter well. My Olympus XA meters more than well enough, so I keep Portra 800 in it.</p>