Fuji EX-1 vs Sony Nex-6

frank_gross

<p>I'm trying to decide between the EX-1 & a Sony Nex 6.<br />I have seen or tried neither<br />Assuming both produce the same image quality<br /><br />Fuji EX1 -<br /><br />Easier to access the controls (exp. compensation etc) via dials vs the Sony being more menu based.<br />More solid (metal) build.<br />Kit lens is faster - f2.8-4 vs f3.5-5.6.<br />This is a big one for low light & indoor (no flash) shooting<br /><br />Sony Nex 6 -<br />Has a tilt screen which I loooove for waist-level shooting.<br />It's cheaper - about $1000 vs $1400<br /><br />I have big hands (XL glove size) so the ergonomics for me are important.<br /><br />Also important is the coat pocketability - I want a camera that i have no excuse to leave at home - just grab 'n go. I have a big dslr with lenses so I'm not looking for a system camera per se</p>

Both seem to be extremely attractive options. The new compact Sony kit lens is far more coat "pocketable" than the Fuji alternative. And while the Sony lens is 1/2 to 1 stop slower, it is wider with a 24mm FOV. I would probably wait until there have been some reviews on both cameras and lenses. One concern I have with the Fuji is potential issues (reported by DP Review) regarding the use of third party RAW converters. Not being able to shoot in RAW and use Lightroom to process would be a deal killer for me.

<p>I agree about the need to be able to process the Fuji raw files in LR or ACR (PS) or at least be able to convert them to DNG & then open in LR or ACR - but apparently not so....?<br>

This makes the fixed lens fuji x100 (doesn't have 'the issue') a contender too<br>

Too bad about the lens being a stop slower on the sony - i dont care much for the wider angle. It's just' not my cup of tea'<br>

But the tilt lcd screen is a big plus for me</p>

<p>I have the Fuji x-pro 1 and have no problem using Lightroom with the raw files. I think it just took them a little extra time to get it working. Here's the list of compatible cameras from Adobe that shows the X-Pro 1. <a href="http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/extend.html">http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/extend.html</a> I assume that means there won't be an issue with the X-E1. </p>

<p>Yes - the Nex 6 + kit lens (if it's very very good) are now contenders for my light weight kit to complement my D800 + many FX lenses. The X-E1 also appeals to me, but the lack of lens selection is a problem.</p>

<p>I'm eagerly awaiting lens reviews on both the new Sony and Fuji lenses before deciding.</p>

<p>I've been watching m43, but none of their zooms really are all that great - even the 12-35/2.8 Pany appears to be just OK according to Photozone.</p>

<p>John</p>

<p>At least the panasonic is a constant f2.8 (but at a steep price!). I dislike variable f-stops.<br>

I only want one zoom or a single prime (35mm or 50mm equivalent).<br>

I don't want a range of lenses (ie a kit) as I have a dslr for that.<br>

I want a 'no excuse to leave at home', 'pocketable' unit.</p>

<p>Like I said I think it's down to nex6 or Fuji EX-1 or maybe the X100</p>

> the 12-35/2.8 Pany appears to be just OK

Photozone's method of testing m43 lenses seems a bit misguided, because it ignores in-camera corrections. Slrgear.com's test of the 12-35/2.8 makes it look great. I am not fond of Panasonic JPEG, but if you shoot RAW (and add lens correction), their m43 cameras are top-notch.