Fuji announces new camera, lenses, firmware

<p>New X-M1 mirrorless X-mount camera: <a href="http://www.dpreview.com/previews/fujifilm-x-m1">DPReview coverage</a>, <a href="http://www.fujifilm.com/news/n130625_01.html">Fuji press release</a></p>

<p>This is a more consumer-oriented take on the X-system, with no viewfinder, tilting screen, mode dial, wifi for cell phone sharing, but the same sensor as the X-Pro1 and X-E1.</p>

<p>Covered on the same page: new 27mm pancake lens (tiny, no aperture ring) and new all-plastic 16-50mm kit zoom. No reviews yet on those optics but I'm going to take a guess and figure that the pancake will be great and the zoom won't be at the level of the 18-55 lens, since it's so cheap and it's all plastic including plastic mount ring. $700 for the X-M1, $800 with the zoom lens, $450 for the pancake.</p>

<p>New firmware: <a href="http://www.fujifilm.com/news/n130625_03.html">Fuji press release</a></p>

<p>Two rounds of firmware updates for X-E1 and X-Pro1 preannounced. Within the next day there will be a minor version update adding support for lenses without aperture rings and an extra button to make it easier to get to the focus point selection, and a major version in a month that adds better AF and focus peaking.</p>

<p>Though drooled over by the fan boys at the rumor sites for weeks, the real-live X-M1 is sorta "meh." Kit pricing is in line with the Sony NEX6--same zoom/aperture range as Sony, too. Not sure it's Japanese-made. Expect some initial discounting. Real problem is the competition at the price point: low-end Canon/Nikon kit DSLRs at BestBuy. Not convinced the "XC"(Xtra Cheap?)lens line will fly. Biggest and best news was the firmware updates.</p>

<p>Consumers will like it. I wouldn't go for the X-M1 myself because I prefer the X-E1 controls but that's not to say it isn't a good product, and I can see there being a pretty big market of non "fan boys" (and I think the subtext of the promotional material is that the X-M1 is targeted at women). Those customers won't mind the 16-50 seeming cheap when it actually is low cost, and a lot of people who won't buy a DSLR because of size will buy the most stylish looking smaller camera with simple controls.</p>

<p>"<em>and a lot of people who won't buy a DSLR because of size will buy the most stylish looking smaller camera with simple controls.</em>"<br>

<br /> Think smartphones have already won. Stylish--make that most--p&s cameras are dead. Entry-level Canon/Nikon DSLRs aren't exactly big or complex and certainly compete on price. MILCs are having a tough time finding buyers.</p>

<p>Looks like the X-M1 is made in Thailand.</p>

C Watson raises a good point. Most people want and need a camera they can carry in a pocket or purse and is simple to

operate. Few people make prints any more, so what's the use of buying a camera when they already have 8 MP or more

in their phone?

However, if anyone can make inroads with an MILC, Fuji may the company that does so. I ditched my DSLR equipment a

few months ago and just purchased an X-E1 after seeing the quality I can pull from this little gem. The 24x36 inch print I

made last week is incredible. If I was still a pro even photographer I'd use a DSLR, but for the events I'm shooting now my

Sony RX-100 is sufficient. The Fuji is my main fine art photography camera.

I'm keeping my Hasselblad 501CM for special occasions, but when traveling overseas or hiking into wilderness areas the

Fuji will be in my bag.

<blockquote>

<p>Think smartphones have already won. Stylish--make that most--p&s cameras are dead. Entry-level Canon/Nikon DSLRs aren't exactly big or complex and certainly compete on price. MILCs are having a tough time finding buyers.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>While people like to carry a go-everywhere camera, there are times when people want to take a few serious pictures, e.g., being new parents, traveling to a photogenic place, etc, which is when a more "serious" cameras comes into the picture. It has been talked about to death that while one can make a camera body small, you need to factor in the size of the whole package, lens, flash, tripod, and bag, ...to see why a smaller camera system is desirable for the vast majority of people. My favorite system is the m4/3 system because their lenses are smaller than those using APS-C sensor and their sensor is now outstanding. However the Fuji system also offers a range of very attractive prime lenses that are of very high quality and small. Where is the Nikon equivalent of the 14/2.8 lens? It is true that the sale of MILC has "plateued" but that is not the same as saying that they cannot find customers. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Looks like the X-M1 is made in Thailand.</p>

</blockquote>

In a forum like this where people from all over the world participate, this kind of comment can be seen as derogatory, and insulting to people in Thailand. All Apple products are made in China, so what?

<p>"<em>In a forum like this where people from all over the world participate, this kind of comment can be seen as derogatory, and insulting to people in Thailand. All Apple products are made in China, so what</em>?"</p>

<p>Excuse me for reading the labels on the bottom of the X-M1(Thailand) and the new lenses(China) that Fuji saw fit <strong><em>not</em></strong> to show in their promo pix.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>This is a more consumer-oriented take on the X-system</p>

</blockquote>

<p>looking at the DPReview preview, looks like it could be an excellent street shooter or discreet PJ cam, esp. with the 27mm pancake or the other x-mount primes. ergonomics/UI seem to be excellent: 2 rear dials, configurable Fn button, bounce flash, dedicated video button, remote flash, tiltable LCD, bracketing, wi-fi. not a whole lot it can't really do. $800 for a body and 16-50 kit lens isn't bad, either -- i'd much rather have 2mm on the wide end than 5mm on the long end.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>My favorite system is the m4/3 system because their lenses are smaller than those using APS-C sensor and their sensor is now outstanding.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Fuji beats m4/3 on sensor and now has a compact which can uses X mount lenses.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Entry-level Canon/Nikon DSLRs aren't exactly big or complex and certainly compete on price.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>if there was no market for MILCs, would we see Eos-M or Coolpix A?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Expect some initial discounting. Real problem is the competition at the price point: low-end Canon/Nikon kit DSLRs at BestBuy.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>...and this is a bad thing for consumers? look, if you already have a big DSLR and were considering m4/3 or Nex for the compact size, you just got gifted with another option.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>If I was still a pro even photographer I'd use a DSLR, but for the events I'm shooting now my Sony RX-100 is sufficient. The Fuji is my main fine art photography camera.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>methinks a Sony RX-100 and X-M1 w/pancake would be a pretty versatile combo.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>in fact, it looks very much as though it might be one of the most usable, photographer-friendly small mirrorless cameras on the market. Other companies have generally made their small models as externally-simple as possible, for fear of driving away beginners, but Fujifilm has instead gone ahead and covered the X-M1 with more controls than you'll find on some entry-level SLRs. We're not sure if it's the smallest twin-dial interchangeable lens camera ever made, but it has to be close.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>this is why it's an intriguing product. also, it can take Leica m-mount with an adapter.</p>

<p>"<em>if there was no market for MILCs, would we see Eos-M or Coolpix A</em>?"</p>

<p>It's stagnant, Eric. The EOS M seems to be a dud and the uber-pricey Coolpix A isn't a MILC.</p>

<p>"..<em>and this is a bad thing for consumers? look, if you already have a big DSLR and were considering m4/3 or Nex for the compact size, you just got gifted with another option</em>."</p>

<p>Entry-level DSLRs are quite small already. Yup, it's just another model in a crowded, slow-moving market segment. Fuji's discounts on the X cameras and lenses this summer suggest slow sales and inventory issues, particularly if updated bodies are in the pipe for next year. They're fine products but aren't flying off the shelves.</p>

<p>Andy, I don't agree with your assessment of the 16-50mm. The whole point of making a lens out of plastic and compromising on the aperture is precisely so that you DON'T have to compromise on the optics! Take a look at the plastic lenses from any company that are just delivering the image quality. I see this as a natural extension from the X-Pro 1 to X-E1. Maybe some want the Fuji image quality without the Fuji diehard pro features. I don't need a lens to last 4 decades any more, just the usable life of the camera. And if I'm not shooting an event, as long as I can set ISO, shutter speed, and aperture, I'm good to go. My shooting is mainly done today either on a tripod, or around a table, for example. All they have to do is make the new kit zoom not disappointing, like the Sony 16-50mm or the Olympus 12-50mm have been.</p>

<p>@Sanford, Fuji already has that covered: it's the <em>X-</em>M1. Doubtless Leica users were among the intended market, though, since Fuji sells an M-mount adapter. Fuji clearly has NEX within its sights as well, though the focus peaking option here doesnt seem as well-implemented as Sony's.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Maybe some want the Fuji image quality without the Fuji diehard pro features.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>i wouldnt buy an X-Pro1 or X-E 1 now anyway, since they are due for an update with faster AF. (assuming that wasn't addressed in firmware upgrade). The X-M1 seems like a good way to ease into the X-mount system, of which the lenses and sensor quality are the draw. The two control dials are a good inclusion, as is the tilting LCD, although it doesnt swing out like some other cams. Spec-wise, it looks competitive for the price and makes more sense IMO than a Coolpix A, since you can get it with the pancake and not be limited down the line to just that lens.</p>