Found Photos - From a D70s - serial number (last 3) below

daverhaas

<p>This is a long shot, I know, but a group I'm a member of on Facebook is looking for the owner of a Nikon D70s - last 3 of the SN - xxxxx893. </p>

<p>A member of our group found a memory card in Ireland and would love to reunite the card and photos with the owner. </p>

<p>The memory card the images are on is not from a D70s - although the images are. </p>

<p>If you have any information pease let me know. </p>

<p>Thanks - <br>

<br />Dave</p>

<p>Call Nikon. With the full serial number, if the owner registered the camera with nikon, they should be able to identify the <strong>original</strong> camera owner. I doubt they would give you the registered owner's name or address, but Nikon might either return the card themselves or put the original owner in touch with you.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The memory card the images are on is not from a D70s - although the images are.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Obviously not enough coffee this morning but....<em>what</em>? </p>

<p>I'm guessing the card contains folders from 2 different cameras and the most recent is NOT the D70s. If this is the case I hope the cameras Date and Time codes are right. I've forgotten to re-enter them after a long power-down and they reset to Jan 2000. Maybe the other camera type might help too?</p>

<p>....or it's CF card being used to store or transfer them?</p>

<p>I hope we would all go to the effort if we found a card like this. It should be part of the Digital Camera Users' Code.</p>

<p>Fingers' Crossed and well-done to the OP!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>@Brooks - I called Nikon support with the full s/n. They had no record of the camera being registered. Which isn't unusual I guess, since there isn't a card to send in - you have to do so on-line or call. </p>

<p>@Mike - the folders are not "Nikon Standard" names. The card that was found is an old 128mb SD Card. The D70s used a CF card. Therefore we know that the person who lost the card had a copy of them and not the "out of camera" images. </p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>That's what I'm hoping Mike. The names of the folders, names of the files and file sizes would lead me to believe that someone made a copy of the images and put them on the rather small sd card. Which means, hopefully, that the originals are safe some place. </p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>I'm sure that its possible to track use of images online from individual cameras, there are websites where you can put the serial number of your camera and look to see where your images are actually being used. I did that with my last camera, a D90 out of interest but it only showed the images where they should have been. Maybe if you tried that with the D70S serial number you might find images from it on Flickr or similar websites and be able to work out who and where the current owner is.</p>

<p>Did you say 128 _mega_bytes?</p>

<p>Post the photos somewhere and let someone else find the owners. For a 128mb card, it's not worth the postage to mail it to them.</p>

<p>Best bet would be to take one of the most representative/informative photos and use your story to start an internet meme of the "share this post" variety. ;-)</p>

• 3 weeks later...