Fomapan 200

an_cs

Would appreciate if anyone could tell me about his experience with

Fomapan 200 sheet film. Does it do well with expanded development for

Pt/Pd? What are ideal developers to use? Is it true speed of 200? I

realised that reciprocity effect for this film is outrageous (1 sec.

3x, 10 sec. 9x). Is it a problem for you? Thanks.

I've developed Foma 200 in Rodinal 1:100 and 1:50 and it works well at either dilution.

I got the times from digitaltruth.com.

200 seems to be a reasonable speed for it. I have attempted pushing one stop with pretty

poor results. Not sure about the reciprocity response since I've only shot in daylight and

tungsten studio lighting. I can't comment on "expanded development for Pt/Pd" since I'm

not certain what this is.....

I purchased a 100 foot roll and have developed several rolls. I developed in straight D76 70 degrees for five minutes. That gave me a snappy negative. The film has a clear base (like apx 100). The grain seems quite fine even at 11x14. It reminds me of trix in d76---in the early 80's. sort of gritty with a nice range of tones. I did rate the film at 200 and used center-weighted metering--as well as an incident meter. I also got a 100 foot roll of the Foma 100.

With so many film companies folding, I wanted to try what was out there and readily available. My standard in 35mm have been HP5 and Agfa 100.

This is great info, guys. I recently purchased 100' of 35mm and a bunch of 120-format Arista.EDU Ultra 200 (this is Freestyle's rebranded Fomapan 200) and am looking forward to trying it out. Gene, you're the second person I've come across who's referred to the look of Fomapan 200 as being similar to "old-school" Tri-X.

From Foma's own spec sheets the 35mm version is only ISO 200 (and then barely) in a speed increasing developer such as Microphen. My own tests (and Ilford's) give a speed effectively identical to FP4+, i.e. 125-160 in most developers.

It's been so long since I used the sheet film that I've forgotten whether it's the same, but I do know I rated it at 125 there as well -- and spot metered the shadows, the only meaningful way to use ISO speeds for neg films. Slight (or even considerable) over-exposure does very little harm with most B+W films.

Cheers,

Roger (and check the FREE module on ISO film speeds at The Photo School at www.rogerandfrances.com)

I shoot Foma 200 at box speed and develop in 510-Pyro or Hypercat. Development times are almost identical to those for Ilford Pan F+, and I often process these films together.Foma 200 is a designer grain film, but responds very well to staining developers, more like TMY than TMX in that regard. I find Foma 200 to be a very reliable film, producing good results consitently, with no surprises.

Jay<div>00ECNd-26509384.jpg.4e854fa4053d2e9b1ebfc59aec1701b9.jpg</div>