My boss, and a good friend had the opportunity to take an "Intro Flight" in an

F-16. (I'd kill to be able to do that.)

At any rate, he asked that I capture the event. I've never shot such a thing

and I had no idea what was supposed to happen. I'm a firm believer that putting

yourself in challenging circumstances helps train you for weddings. So here are

a couple of the series shots.

Comments always welcome.

http://www.photo.net/photodb/slideshow?folder_id=777542

Nice work. I can sense his delight and apprehension. Nice clear shot of the aircraft in flight, as well.

It's a little after-the-fact, here, but: faced with an opportunity to shoot right up next to an F-16, I think I'd have pulled out an ultra-wide lens and gone for some really unusual low angles. The guy-in-the-gear shots are also fun to shoot in an alternative mode: from a slightly lower-angle 3/4 position, for the quintessential heroic pose.

All that being said, it looks like a great time, and I can't imagine that your subjects will be anything less than pleased. Great gig to get! Make sure that the squadron gets some copies... you never know when they'll recommend that you do the same for someone else down the road.

Great photos and I wish it could have been me in the back. The only better ride would be

the space shuttle, and I would not ride it.

I have seen the Air Force flight demo team twice and it is a truely impressive aircraft. A

Scott AFB which is quite small, I could get right up close to the runway unlike Chicago

where the residents complain if the jets get within 1/2 mile of the beach.

At Scott one did a circle knife edge ( vertical wings) about 75 feet off the ground and

maybe 100 yards in diameter. At the lake front, one did a flyby wheels down, flaps down,

as slow as possible. Wheels and flaps came up, did a 1/2 loop, rolled over, turned

vertical,lit the afterburners, and disappeared straight up in a matter of seconds. I just

could not believe how it could go from stall speed to straight up so fast. I understand it

will break the sound barrier going straight up. Early jets needed to be in a dive to do it.

What a cool shoot! For the photos I'll have to agree with Matt; different angles and the "heroic pose" would have been fun. I would also watch my backgrounds. For example, in one shot the yellow pump in the background is distracting and pulls my attention away from your boss. Also, be careful with framing. In the first photo, I would say the men have too much headroom. In another shot where he's posing against the jet, his foot is cut off just a little. Now, that's being nitpicky, but it's something to keep in mind...I'm sure he'll be grateful to have it captured!

Daniel, great photographs there - definitely make sure the squadron get copies as Matt suggested, and perhaps a nicely framed one to go on the wall.

You said your boss is a friend....perhaps he could blag you a flight in return for you having done the photos for him ;))

I have a feeling these shots will exceed your boss' wildest expectations. You did a great shot of putting some real feel into them, rather than "stand beside the jet and smile like a goober."

I'd love to have shots of me like these. He'll be very pleased.