Flash for Hasselblad?

leonard_borger

<p>Looked in the archives but quite old. Have a 500 C/M, 503 CW and 500 ELX and various lens. Need to take some interior shot of rooms and an occasional portrait inside. This is NOT professional work. I am NOT getting paid. Would like recommendations for a flash unit, new or used, with the above equipment. Thanking you in advance. </p>

<p>Leonard, these are tasks that call for serious off-camera flash. Luckily, you have what many people (including myself) describe as the greatest studio camera ever made. If you're in the USA, a couple of White Lightning or Novatron flashes with stands and umbrellas should do the trick. Elsewhere, there are similar brands and I'm sure that somebody will chyme in with recommendations.</p>

<p>I have been using a 500CM with my Canon 430EXII speedlites (up to three) with the RadioPopper JrX. I just mount the Radio transmitter in the cold shoe of the metered prism finder and hook the lens PC sync to the transmitter. Kind a fun to synch at up to 1/500th for a change!<br>

I hook the transmitter up to the sekonic first to get the power levels right and determine the aperture and shutter speeds.</p>

<p>There are even cheaper radio systems (if you even want off camera flash) but I like being able to adjust all three flashes from one location.</p>

<p> </p>

Regardless of price the 640ws ( maximum) Paul C. Einstein E640 remans the state of the art all manual monolight on the

market today . A nine stop energy (output) range adjustable in tenth of a stop increments, short flash duration, constant

color temperature from flash to flash and power setting to power setting,fan cooled and a 250 watt-Quartz-Halogen

modeling light. It's not perfect but it's very close and it is only $499.95. http://www.paulcbuff.com/e640.php

Lighter weight? The LumoPro LP180 all manual hotshoe mount flash is flat out terrific: rugged and as powerful as any

hotshoe mount flash with a slew of useful features. http://lumopro.com/LP180.php

<p>Leonard,<br>

The other gents have it covered for studio light setup. If I need a good inexpensive studio setup, I would definitely my question here!</p>

<p>I notice you have the older 500 C/M & 500 ELX, both non--TTL camera. <br>

For portability, as requested by several people here, I used my Vivitar 283 or 285.<br>

Inexpensive and widely available.<br>

For more powerful flash for TTL for the 503 CW, I use the Hasselblad 4504 TTL ProFlash, a simple Metz CL-4 with the Hasselblad TTL module built-in. A decent Flash Guide number of 148. I also have the Hasselblad D-Flash 40.Both are still service by Hasselblad. Just service is available, as both discontinued by Hasselblad. <br>

As an alternate, you can use Metz CL-4 and the Sunpak 120J flash, as both are still sold and serviced support is still available. <br>

For both flash system, I use a Quantum Battery + as my main power source. Both are module and TTL module are available New or Used.</p>

<p>These cameras all have a standard PC connection so you can use literally any flash you want. If you're using a modern TTL flash just put in in manual or auto aperture. <br /><br />No need for anything fancy, especially if you're just starting. Even though I own a Nikon SB-900, I use Vivitar 283 and 285 units every day, and my studio lights are older Novatron monolights. As with most flash questions, go read the Lighting 101 section at <a href="http://www.strobist.com">www.strobist.com</a> With a used Vivitar, an umbrella and a lightstand you can be up and running for around $100 for a basic setup. Learn to use that before you spend money on anything else. Do not rent quite yet -- if you're beginning, you need to keep a flash long enough to learn how to use it. You can have a Vivitar setup to keep forever fore less than a single day's rental.</p>