Film or digital

sue_immel1

<p>Hello everyone, I'm Sue Immel from Kentucky. I have switched from film to digital just this past year. I have a studio, been in it for about 8 years. I'm not real thrilled with digital (D80), been shooting with Nikon F100 and medium format. Has it taken anyone else this long to get good with digital? take a look at my web site and see what you think, please. infocusstudiophotography.com. Thanks for any help you might be able to offer. What's the deal with calibrating you monitor? How do you go about that? I've read but it's still seems a little confussing.</p>

<p>Hello Sue,</p>

<p>Welcome to the forums. Honestly I do not see why you have to go only digital or only film. My first camera was a Canon AE-1 Program my parents bought me, I used that for a long time and then just about 1 year ago I bought a DSLR. Since then I have picked up 2 TLR 120 film cameras and an N80 AFTER I got my digital body.</p>

<p>I say each have their own great uses and it is smart to maintain diversity. Sometimes digital affords you opportunities that film does not, for me I like the speed and learning. But film is still amazing and you can always scan in your negatives if you want to digitally manipulate your photos. I say Keep your F100 and medium format cameras! Keep using all of them including the digital and just have fun with it.</p>

<p>Sure, It took till early 2008's techs to convince me, now... that was just the beginning of the transition. Now you need time to get other things up to scratch. First, one needs to get used to their equipment. This is not just knowing the user manual well, this is to know what to do with it in a instinctive kind of way. You see, Sue, only close observation and practise and time will allow you to do this. Then you need the same ingredients for processing those files mate so... give yourself and your gear time to explore the relationship and find what works for you.(I'll make the point to keep this short)<br>

In regards to calibrating the monitors. Again the answer is Time. Time and practice.<br>

One thing I did was to check both mine and others files through the internet(all photos that I new well) in all the computers I could and try to spot the changes of tones and/sharpness, etc. This way I tuned my eyes! and mind, now when I process, my pallet works a wider spectrum to what I see at the time is done. <br>

But like any muscle, Sue, The mind, eyes and any other form of application we use for our work, need to keep fit, so often, is a good idea to scrap it all away and start again from scratch. <br>

Good luck Sue, hope I could be of some help.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hello, Sue! I'm just here to greet. But I do agree that using both media is useful.</p>

<p>I used to live in Cincinnati many years ago. I used to think that the woods on the edge of our apartment complex would take us over the border to Kentucky if we walked far enough. I never found out if that was true. :-)</p>