Film camera for self-shots

aslan_ivo

<p>I need a recommendation for an inexpensive camera:<br>

I have a friend who wants to photograph herself using a 35mm film camera. She wants to be able to take multiple shots of herself in various poses, without having to go back to the camera to recock the shutter and advance the frame between each shot. So naturally she needs a camera with a built-in motor and auto film advance.<br>

She also needs some way to trip the shutter each time. I am sure that she can do this with a cable release, but I don't know of a camera that has auto advance plus cable release. Any suggestions welcomed.<br>

It would be ideal to use a self timer instead of a cable release too. But I am not sure if there is a camera whose self-timers also allowed multiple shots to be taken in a row. For example if you set the timer on 10 seconds, does that mean it will continuously take a shot every ten seconds by itself? or will it take 1 shot after 10 seconds, and that's all? If there is a camera that can take 1 shot every few seconds until it runs out of film or is stopped, that would be ideal. Any suggestions?<br>

</p>

<p>For full automation of the process, I have a thought. Not as inexpensive as she probably wants and it is digital...but it works great. I've used a Nikon D300 on a tripod. It has a built in intervalometer in which you can set the number of shots and the interval between the shots and once you start the process it will proceed until its completion. Set to autofocus it ensures that if she moves her pose, it will properly focus on her, set to autoexpose in the aperture priority mode it ensures she will get proper exposure if the llighting changes, or set to manual exposure after taking a test shot or two, will ensure consistency of exposure in a constant lighting situation- . I did a series for my daughter shooting myself over a half hour period as I struggled with a new computer program, as well as one of my cat exploring a new houseplant. The low cost method, of course is a film camera with a built in winder and autofocus capabilities and using a remote release bulb. The only problem is that if she is doing full body poses, the release bulb and its cord may show up in the shots.</p>

<p>A Minolta x-series camera with a motor drive would do this pretty well. Not necessarily as cheap as one might like, but it could be pretty inexpensive if you shop around. The X-370, 570 and 700 all are ready for motor drive, and aftermarket motor drives (shared by all) were made and remain pretty widely available. You can set the drive for single or continuous shooting. They use a standard threaded cable release, and if normal cable lengths are inconvenient you can get an inexpensive air bulb release that will work from many feet, and can be triggered by stepping on it.</p>

<p>The Nikon F80/n80 might be a cheaper rig, depending on what's available. Either way, though, if you can find a motor driven camera with a standard cable release, the pneumatic bulb should make the job easy. The auto focus also might make it more suitable than the old Minolta. Any Minolta Maxxum would work for this too, but they used a model-specific electronic cable release.</p>

<p>An afterthought: I have a Nikon "Lite Touch Zoom 120" point and shoot camera for which an optional remote control was made. I don't have the remote, but it would appear that if one did, this or one like it would be a very simple and cheap solution. The cameras themselves are pretty cheap to find. Whether the remote is, I don't know, but I'd be inclined to look around for something like that. If not Nikon, maybe some other maker.</p>

<p>edit to add: I just looked it up and it seems a whole lot of Nikons, digital and film, share the same remote, and they are widely available, from Nikon and aftermarket, some incredibly cheap. If you shopped around I think you could get a pretty good working remote controlled film setup for under 20 bucks.</p>

<p>There are a bunch of film Canon EOS cameras that have IR remote shutter releases and built-in motors. The remote is a little clicker-like thing-- I think maybe the same one that still comes (came?) with some digital Rebels.</p>

<p>These are available for fairly low prices on eBay and such. Google for infrared remote + EOS cameras or so.</p>

<p>Most of the Maxxums have a remote release socket. Even the low-priced Maxxum 5 and Maxxum xtsi have it. The Maxxum 8000i, while older has a 3 fps motor and remote socket and a top shutter of 1/8000 sec. Or the Maxxum 9xi with a 1/12,000 sec top speed and 4.5 fps. Some Maxxums take an intervalometer card so you can program them to take photos at specific intervals.</p>

<p>The Nikon N75/F75 uses the same very cheap infrared remote as their consumer line DSLRs, and built in motor drive. You can be in front of the camera and palm the remote, and you just press the button. The camera is also inexpensive, has all the usual exposure modes and takes all Nikon mount AF lenses. I'd check that out.</p>

<p>I would simply get an Olympus Mju II (Stylus Epic in the U.S) plus its RC-200 Olympus infrared remote control. This a great (and cheap) combo for environmental self portraits. Note that the remote control can still be bought new on Ebay for very little, and perhaps you or someone you know already owns a Mju II. Have fun!</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>Well, Aslan, as you can see, there are a lot of choices available. Really your friend's requirements can be met in any number of ways. You don't mention a budget, though.</p>

<p>How critical is an intervalometer if she can hold a small wireless device she can use to trip the shutter whenever she wants? Here's another sugggestion: a Canon EOS Elan II or IIe with the wireless IR remote. Because it's IR, it's line of sight, which means she'll actually have to point it at the camera. Or somebody else can off-camera. I suggest the Elan II or IIe because it's really a nice camera and for some odd reason they sell for next to nothing on eBay. I recently sold one on eBay that had been my mother's and that probably hadn't had 20 rolls of film run through it. It went for $20. That hurt! Other Canon EOS cameras will use this same IR remote, but I don't know which ones offhand.</p>

<p>Another realm of possibility is to use a 35mm camera with a motor drive that has a plug for a remote switch. I have a Nikon F2 with motor drive, a Nikon FE with motor drive and a Canon F-1 with motor drive, and I have remote cords for all three. So I can stand well off from any of these cameras and trip the shutter and advance film whenever I want. Some motor drives also have an intervalometer option or accessory, but they're not that common.</p>