Fed 2 repair & random pics

Discussion in 'Classic Manual Cameras' started by subbarayan_prasanna, Nov 15, 2012.

  1. I completed changing the curtains in two old Fed 2 cameras. It was quite a learning process. Maizenberg’s book made it enjoyable. I got a few tips also from Rick Oleson. Many doubts remain due to the non-availability of standard specifications. The whole process is by trial and error. Maizenberg tells you what to look for as problems. However, the solution that he suggests is only by trial and error. Among the major problems, I found were the following.

    1. One has to do a full disassembly to change the curtains.
    2. There are no guidelines as standard measures to cut, size and glue the new curtains.
    3. The tolerance in the gaps is very low, especially in the corners where the ribbon-strap goes around the pulleys; you cannot fit any material thicker than 0.2mm.
    4. Re-assembling the cradle with the curtains on to the body is again a trial and error job; sometimes you get it on the first try; at other times it takes over 20 trials! There are no physical guide marks for correct alignment.
    5. Finally, when it is all assembled there is no independent adjuster to retard the second curtain; one has to try varying the curtain tensions or open and glue the curtains all over, again. They could have provided a twisting key to adjust the escapement of the closing curtain.

    I am told by experienced repairmen that all the Leica design shutters pose similar problems while repairing. I am posting these observations in the hope that someone with experience on this type of cameras may clarify some of these issues.

    The first Fed 2 that I repaired works well in all speeds except B. The B escapement is worn out or mis-aligned. Maizenberg says that is common. In the second Fed 2 the closing curtain was starting too early and capping about a third of the frame. Both are very old Fed 2 models, possibly the first Fed 2 models. I took the second one for a test walk and got a series of “half-frame” pictures. I used an Industar 50mm “eagle eye” lens, ORWO UN54 ASA100 film and my home brew. Here are some samples to embellish my story, pictures with no theme.

    00b20U-504161584.jpg
     
  2. With salt ans pepper or chilied spices it is common snack on the road.
    00b20d-504161784.jpg
     
  3. There is some revival in scooter production. Even Piagio of Italy has set up production now.
    00b20e-504161984.jpg
     
  4. The capping produced a shadowy effect on these pictures. Was interesting to my eyes.
    00b20h-504162084.jpg
     
  5. Unusual for the main street bazaar.
    00b20i-504162184.jpg
     
  6. The trend was started here by Honda.
    00b20l-504162284.jpg
     
  7. I have done some work on the Exakta VX series. It is often said to be "over-engineered", I found that it was easier to do this kind of repairs on the Exakta VX series. Thanks for viewing and your comments. Subbarayan.
     
  8. The factory had jigs to mount the curtains at exactly the right place on the drums. We don't have that luxury. For Leicas before the IIIc, the only way to get the 1/1000 shutter speeds right is by exact location of the curtains. On the IIIc, there's an adjustable cam on the second curtain latch for 1/1000.
    I've considered temporarily attaching the closing to the drum using double-sided tape while working on getting the exact right location, then gluing it with shellac when it's right. (I glued one Canon RF closing curtain with Pliobond, which is what they originally used, but it's much more annoying than shellac, which is what I'll use in the future. I don't have the luxury of the certainty of the jig they used.)
     
  9. Impressive. Gutsy, too.
    And that goes for the images as well as the task. Bravo.
     
  10. If the old curtain is still attached to the drum, scribe a mark at the end of the curtain and make sure the new curtain is exactly the same as the old. One of mine arrived with the curtain unglued and I used orinary rubber cement that allowed relocation of the curtain end a number of times during the trial and error phase. One the proper placement was found, I used a more permanent cement.
     
  11. Always enjoy these street shots from your hometown SP. Like the light on the cucumbers and it reminds me of a book that I read once of the British in the old Raj where cucumber sandwiches were all the rage.
    Seems to be more new cars and motobikes in your street these days?
     
  12. Thanks John, Roger; you clarified my doubts. I feel assured that I am not far off the process. I was a bit amused working at these cameras as an old time carpenter would, just by the eye sight and no particular template or standard measure! They were excellent craftsmen though! Thanks JDM for the encouraging words. The task is time consuming; the trail and error took me over a week to get it to near-right this time. But the learning and the "vacation" from other domestic chores was enjoyable. Yes Tony, the cucumber sandwiches are so common in Britain. The Brits call them "cukes" and sell them even in their airports! My wife was trained in Britain on anesthesiology and she still uses that term "cukes". sp
     
  13. Great restoration and repair job. And nice images to show it off. As always they are interesting. Thanks for posting.
     
  14. Looks like your efforts paid off. A great series of photos. I have made new curtains for an
    Exakta Varex VX. Time consuming but very rewarding.
     
  15. Great use of light and shade, and I like the format, despite it's inadequacies in the technical sense. "Cucumbers" and "Flashy Bike" stand out, along with the technical information. Many thanks, SP.
     

Share This Page