F3 Screen in F4--It Works!

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by wogears, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Just tried this. Bought a 'P' type screen for F3, took it out of the frame and installed it in an F4 screen frame. (Damn little screws...) Put it in the F4, mounted several different lenses. Infinity focus is dead-on; focus at shorter distances agrees with the 'green dot' electronic rangefinder exactly. I had read so much on the Internet about how this wouldn't work, and some about how it would, so I risked ten dollars and tried it. Consider that a new 'P' screen for the F4 costs about USD 100 or more on eBay or other sites. It is SO nice to have a split image and a microprism focusing aid! Exposure seems perfect as well without any compensation.

2. That's good to know.
    Now the screens for the F3 will start going up in price.

3. Yes, but don't turn the camera upside down without a viewfinder attached.
    Christoph

4. OF COURSE IT WORKS. You did the correct method, which is Removing the screen assembly from the frame. BUT your title will continue to mislead people who think you can exchange them *in frame*, which will not work without focussing errors.

5. "Now the screens for the F3 will start going up in price."​
    That's OK. Just swap screens for the F2 into an F3 frame ;-)

6. I haven't been concerned about my F4 focusing screen much but since this is such a cheap experiment, I ordered an F3 Type P screen on eBay for $9.99.

7. Thanks for the tip on this one. I received my $9.99 F3 Type P screen from eBay and made the frame swap today. I've been a dedicated Type E grid screen user for years and this P screen still provides a couple lines for alignment. The diagonal split image is much more useful than a horizontal one, too.

8. Thanks for the tip, just tried it myself with a 50 F1.8 AF lens and manual lens, works great.