Expired T-MAX?

<p>Hello<br>

My grandfather passed down some old rolls of black/white negative film (among others), mainly Kodak T-MAX 100. These rolls all expired in 1999, and I doubt that they have been frozen.<br>

Will this film be usable, should I rate it at ISO 50 to compensate for the possible reduction in light sensitivity? I also have one roll of Kodak T-MAX 3200, which expired in November 1995! Is this of any use?</p>

<p>If kept at normal room temperature, TMax-100 should last pretty long. I would only do something different if you live in a tropical country or southern US state, and don't keep the A/C on. </p>

<p>A little more exposure is usually good for negative films. I usually don't change the EI value, but instead round any exposure up. When the meter comes out between two f-stop values, round toward more exposure. When there isn't so much light, do the best you can, as always. </p>

<p>You will find out from the first roll the condition of the rest.</p>

<p>I have had Verichrome Pan work just fine 40 years old. </p>

<p>TMax-3200 seems to go bad, even frozen, due to cosmic rays. </p>

<p>You might just keep it for shelf decoration. It could also be used when you just want to see if a camera works, knowing that the results will be too fogged to use. I have a roll in a Nikon F now, which I have been using at EI 3200, and expect to develop in HC-110. I won't be surprised if the results aren't very good. </p>

-- glen

• 3 weeks later...