Experience with used cameras from Adorama.

<p>I'm looking at buying a used camera and have come across one that seems like a good deal on Adorama. Has anyone had experience buying used from Adorama? The camera in question has a very good (V) rating, which is defined by:</p>

<blockquote>

<p><strong>Very Good</strong> Appears well used and may include dings, brassing, scrapes and bruises but is in fully functional condition. Glass may have marks or haze that should not affect picture quality</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Since there are no photos of the actual item, that definition is highly subjective. Can anyone tell me what to expect from a V rated camera from Adorama? Do you think it would be pretty rough, or does Adorama rate conservatively to preserve their reputation? I am considering pulling the trigger but wanted to get opinions from people that have experience with the Adorama used dept. Did you feel you got a good deal and got your money's worth? Or do you think (carefully) buying off ebay would get me a better deal since it cuts out the middle man?</p>

<p>eBay is always cheaper than a dealer if you have enough patience. The problem is how long you have to wait for that "sweet deal" to show up and how many "sweet deals" you have to bid on before you win one for what you are prepared to pay. It might take you months (or even years) to save a few dollars, plus it's usually less hassle to return something you buy from a dealer.</p>

<p>Can't comment on Adorama ratings since I've never bought used from them. I have bought a few old used lenses from KEH and I'd say that their ratings are quite conservative.</p>

<p>I haven't bought a used camera from Adorama, but I have bought used lenses from them and I've never been disappointed based on the expectations set by their condition rating. However, I'm fairly demanding; I've never bought anything used from Adorama that they rated lower than E-, and I prefer to stick to E and E+. Similar remarks apply to B&H and KEH (adjusting for the different ways they each have of rating item condition).</p>

<p>That said, if I bought a V-rated camera from Adorama, I would expect it to have only fairly minor cosmetic imperfections (brassing on corners, worn leatherette, that sort of thing). Functionally it should be fine. From my own experiences, I have no reason not to trust Adorama's rating system. Most of the E-rated items I've purchased look almost new, and none have had any functional problems.</p>

<p>My used cameras in recent years have come from two sources: my local camera store (where I can inspect the camera personally, test the shutter, etc.) and eBay. Perhaps I risk jinxing my good luck by saying this, but I've had very little trouble with lemons from eBay. Luck aside, I think my attention to detail helps; I read item descriptions carefully, examine the seller's photos at the largest size available, study the seller's past feedback, etc. I won't buy from anyone who has very little feedback or less than 99% positive. I read the most recent negative feedbacks to see if they seem to raise legitimate issues. I mostly buy only from people who sell a lot of camera equipment and seem competent to assess its condition. I don't buy from non-USA sellers unless they seem impeccable. If anything bothers me, up to and including my spider sense tingling, I don't bid on the item.</p>

<p>This description sounds like what KEH.com would call "Bargain". I've purchased several "bargain" grade items from KEH which have been perfectly suitable for my needs. Adorama is a reputable company with a good return policy should the item not meet with your approval (expect to pay shipping both ways). Do compare prices and availability with KEH.</p>

<p>eBay is spotty. For one, everything is in "Mint" condition, or "In original box" (perhaps not in the box when run over by a truck). Since eBay is international, and creates an auction atmosphere, people often pay more than new price for used items currently in production. You can get more for your money if the item is not in hot demand or you get lucky. I've bid on many items - one bid, best (e.g., KEH) price - and have not "won" a single one. I don't buy lottery tickets either.</p>

<p>I bought from them in the past and was burned by clear deception. I am not talking about a defect accidentally missed or shipping the wrong one by mistake. I mean obvious deception. I decided to never buy from them again.<br>

<strong>BUT</strong>, since then their representative Helen Oster has been very upfront about past practices and the need to correct them. She's made no excuses and says those people are gone. Based on Adorama having a person who is willing to stand up and address issues I would buy something used again, where before I would not have ever bought anything again, even new.<br>

Both B+H and Adorama are smart to realize that they need a person who will put their credibility on the line to deal with issues. Ultimately, B+H and Adorama profit immensely from retained good will through the efforts of Henry Posner and Helen Oster .</p>

<p>I attempted to buy a used d2x from adorama a few years ago... clicked the order button, entered my cc info then a day later got an e-mail from them saying that they were testing the product prior to shipping and it was doa. </p>

<p>They promptly canceled the order - after calling and asking what I wanted to do. They did not have another used D2x in stock at the time - so I cancelled.</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>Thanks for the reponses. I agree with ebay having the best prices. I have bought several camera items from ebay and have been pleased. I also am careful about the description, photos, feedbak, etc. I was just curious about Adorama b/c their price is even cheaper than most ebay selling prices, which leads me to believe the camera is either A) a very good deal or B) in pretty poor condition. The Adorama camera only comes with the body, battery, and charger, which lowers the value from a complete box set, but it still sounds like a good deal. Would you say with Adorama its more likely to be A) a good deal or B) poor condition. </p>

<p>From my experience, I think Adorama will deliver an item that matches their description. To try to determine what grade V means without having actually seen an item they rated V, I suggest comparing it to the grades immediately above and below:</p>

<blockquote>

<p><strong>E-:</strong> Shows signs of moderate use - Lens Glass is perfect but may have some dust which will not affect picture quality.</p>

<p><strong>V:</strong> Appears well used and may include dings, brassing, scrapes and bruises but is in fully functional condition. Glass may have marks or haze that should not affect picture quality.</p>

<p><strong>G:</strong> Appears to have been used very heavily with multiple dings, scrapes, scratches and heavy brassing. Glass may have fungus, excessive dust and/or scratches that can affect picture quality.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>In the case of a camera body, I would assume that "glass" refers to the mirror, focusing screen, and prism. I would assume that a V item is likely to have dings, scrapes, bruises, and/or brassing, but not very much. There may be haze or scratches on glass, but there should be no fungus, and any imperfections in the glass should not have a visible effect on pictures.</p>

<p>If the description of the V rating leaves you uncertain whether you would be happy with the camera, then I suggest you stick to E- or even E, or at least be ready to pay for return shipping in case you are not satisfied after inspecting the camera in person.</p>

<p>Buying from eBay is completely hit or miss. You have no real idea of who you are dealing with and there is no standards for qualifying the condition. You can get great deals but eBay but you can just as easily get ripped off, or in many cases, pay more than retail. In the early days of eBay, it was much different and there were many more bargains and less scams. </p>

<p>My recommendation is buy from Adorama or B&H for used equipment. Yes, you are probably going to pay slightly more but they will stand behind their purchase. If you buy through eBay, there is no real guarantee. </p>

<p>Nathan</p>

<p>Usually I would say drop me an email and I will arrange for some pictures to be emailed to you.<br /> However, I'm out on vacation from tomorrow through 'til next week, so suggest you contact the used department directly:</p>

<table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" width="100%">

<tbody>

<tr>

<td><strong>phone:</strong> 800-223-2500</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td><strong>phone:</strong> 212-741-0052</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td><strong>fax:</strong> 212-675-8715</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td>

<p><strong>e-mail:</strong> <a href="mailto:usedservice@adorama.com">usedservice@adorama.com </a></p>

<p>BTW our new return policy on all used, new & refurbished items is now 30 days -<br /> http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?op=FAQ#Our%20Return%20Policy</p>

<p>Helen Oster<br /> Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador</p>

<p>helen.oster@adoramacamera.com</p>

</td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

<p>I wasn't very happy with one classic camera I bought from them, the viewfindr was dim, it had fungus, and their shipment policy not a good one (UPS). Sending it back wasn't an option (I live in Asia and would have lost a lot of money on shipment), so I tried to have the camera fixed.<br>

According to hearsays, they aren't very good with second hand stuff, and don't give much details when you ask them. As for me, I won't deal with them again.<br>

Good dealers:Pacificrimcamera, KEH.</p>

Nathan, I have purchased three used Nikon lenses and very recently a used Nikon D80 from Adorama. Each purchase has exceeded my expectations, and I will purchase used stuff from Adorama again. However, all of my purchases have been rated E or E+ and I intend to stay within that standard.

<p>I just purchased a used Canon 5D from Adorama a few weeks ago and I was completely happy with it. It had a rating of E+. The camera has some minor wear which I expected. There was a bit of rubbing on the bottom and on the hot shoe but nothing to detract from its usefulness. It also had a scratch on the LCD screen in the very bottom right corner but once I put an LCD protector over the screen you can't tell. I would have liked to know what the shutter count was before purchasing it but it ended up being about 19k. I would definitely purchase another used camera from them again.</p>

<p>I have bought a used lens from Adorama, after using it for few days (mine had 30 days return policy and 90 days warranty) figured out that lens had dust particles inside the lens. I sent that lens to them and they were closing it or few days due to religious festival.</p>

<p>They sent me another lens... :)</p>

<p>I have purchased 3 cameras from Adorama over the years. My last camera is my current one, a D80 that was listed as "open box" Camera was priced very attractively, was in perfect condition as represented by the description. ALL paperwork including blank warranty card, ALL accessories in the original plastic bags and was in my hands in less than 3 days from placing the order. Could not have asked for an easier sale! Will buy from them again in a heartbeat!<br>

Mark</p>

<p>@Steve L.</p>

<p>Absolutely no reason for a salesman in the store not to open up a used item for you to look at; I'd appreciate additional details of the date of your visit and the person you spoke to so I can ask the store manager to address this in staff training.</p>

<p>@Yann</p>

<p>Not sure from your posting when this took place, but our policy is that if a used item is found to be defective within the return period (30 days) we would either refund your return shipping costs or meet the cost of a local repair. You would need to contact me or our CS department first so we can asess the individual circumstances.</p>

<p><strong>Helen Oster<br />Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador</strong><br>

<a href="mailto:HelenO@adorama.com">HelenO@adorama.com</a></p>