EVF and Polarizer

bob_cook

<p>And - the EVF (on the EM5) is pretty good at giving a clear view even with a 6-stop ND on the lens - much better than my D800 live view screen. So using the EM1/5 with polariser and/or NDs is a pleasure. However the ability to pull up shadow detail in a waterfall/dark rocks and vegetation scene is nothing like as good as with the D800 (as you'd expect).</p>

<p>Thanks John. That's good to know since I'm thinking I will need an ND filter to get the slow shutter speeds that I prefer for my water work. If I'm restricted from using small apertures, I'll probably need more than just my normal polarizer to get down to one second or longer times.</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>Even when I used my Wratten 87 which passes no visible light the EVF gives me an image as it sees by infra-red light and no human-visible light :-) As far as I can tell from numerous occasionas AF works just the same by IR as visible light unlike when manually focusing a legacy lens and you look for the 'yellow line' to offset focus in film days.<br>

You will also find that if you wish you can set a legacy lens to the working aperture you wish to use and the EVF will give you a similar bright image to if the lens is wide open ...<br>

does mean you don't have limited DoF to help focus but saves fiddling with an A-M switch/slider after focusing which speeds things up :-)</p>