Ethol UFG, is OK for ISO 400 Films?

<p>Ethol UFG and Acufine are now both available in the UK from Silverprint in London. According to the MSDS on BKA site, UFG is an Elon-Hydroquinone formula while Acufine mentions Hydroquinone only, but I also suspect it contains Phenidone, otherwise it is probably a similar developer to UFG.<br>

As little is known about these developers over here, are they suitable for exploiting the ISO of the 400 speed group of films while keeping graininess as fine as can be expected without loss of effective film speed? Also, do they keep well once mixed to a stock-solution?</p>

<p>I used much more UFG than Acufine over the years. I think they are both phenidone based developers. I rarely shot Tri-x at 400 when develping it in either developer. I mostly shot the film at 1250. If I remember the story correctly, an employee or owner of Acufine (Bauman's Acufine) let and formed Ethol. I also think that BKA (Brandess Kalt Aetna) now distributes boh lines of chemicals.<br>

In the UK it may be less expensive for you to use Microphen or DD-X. These should give similar results to UFG and Acufine. UFG and Acufine have reasonably good keeping qualities once mixed but I think Microphen is still better in this regard.</p>

<p>Just starting to test this stuff. Very strong. Took a roll of Plus-x up to 250-320 no problem, in like 4 1/2 minutes. Grain was good and smooth, apparent but tight. Looks to be an excellent developer. Seems to last in to the Rodinal range of forever, the 'discovered' can was from the early 90's. Seems to be very sensitive to agitation, so optimum results may come from a gentle touch. This developer has just come onto my radar, and while it seems Ethol still makes it, the smaller quart sizes look to be discontinued, at least the Replenisher is. <br>

Lynn, if you have any other info about this developer it would be great, I've read everything you've written on it on Photonet. Thanks.</p>