Error Code 99

friskybongo

<p>Hi All,<br>

I have a Canon Digital Rebel 300D (yes, the original Digital Rebel) and am experiencing the following problem.<br>

I’m getting Error Code 99 when using both the 18-55 kit lens and the 17-55 f/2.8 lens. After a few shots, the camera freezes up and the error code appears. If I remove and reinsert the battery and do the same with the lenses, the camera is sometimes ok for a few shots but then freezes up again. I don’t have this problem when using any of my other Canon lenses. <br>

The kit lens was purchased with the camera about 10 years ago and never exhibited this problem before. The 17-55 was given to me a few months ago (used) which was when this issue arose.<br>

I took the camera + lenses to Canon but they discontinued support for the 300D and quoted just over $300 to examine and repair both lenses (if in fact the problem is with the lenses). Both lenses work just fine on a friend’s Canon Rebel XT so I suspect the problem is with the 300D.<br>

I cleaned both the camera and lens gold-colored metal contacts with a pencil eraser and lens cleaning fluid. This did not help. I read somewhere to insert a new CR 2016 lithium date/time battery (not done since buying the camera 10 years ago; the user manual says the battery’s service life is about 5 years ) and also using a new memory card.<br>

Suggestions are welcomed.</p>

<p>ERR 99 is often/mostly associated with bad contacts between the camera and the lens. I'd repeat cleaning the contacts with ethanol/propanol on a tissue or similar.<br /> Officially ERR 99 is a collection of all errors that do not generate another error code so it's hard looking for the exact cause. Does it occur with a freshly charged BP511 battery as well? I have experienced erratic behaviour with several bodies/lenses that disappeared with fresh batteries.<br /> If nothing else you may look for a 3rd party repair service or replace the 300D.</p>

<p>It's unlikely to be worth fixing since you can buy a working used example, with lens(es) battery etc. for under $100 on eBay.</p>

<p>It's worth changing the time/date battery, though it's not likely the cause of the problem. Leaving both batteries out overnight wouldn't hurt either. A different memory card is equally unlikely to fix the problem, but obviously worth trying.</p>

<p>You could have some sort of intermittent contact on the camera's lens pins. If you've cleaned them and you still have the problem, it could be electrical deeper in the camera.</p>

<p>Error 99 can mean almost anything, so it's not necessarily a lens/camera communication issue. Could be a shutter issue or some kind of memory issue or one of a dozen other faults. Try shooting without a lens attached and see if you still get the 99 error. If you do, then it's unlikely to be associated with the lens connections. Try shooting with and without a memory card and see what happens.</p>

<p>I had intermittent 99 errors in my EOS40D a few years ago which traced down to a BP511A battery pack that had apparently developed some sort of higher internal resistance. Everything was fine with other packs and charging the defective one overnight still had the problem appearing within less than a day with that pack. That may not apply here, but is worth checking.</p>

<p>Agreed that 99 error is apparently defined as "it's not any of the others."</p>

<p>I'm sure you've got more than one (main) battery. Do the occurrences of ERR99 have any correlation with the specific battery you are using? </p>

<p>What are the lenses that work without problems?</p>

<p>Frankly, as Bob says, it's highly unlikely to be worth any sort of repair (unless you have some sort of emotional attachment), though successfully diagnosing the problem is sometimes very satisfying. A replacement, or an XT, or an XTi (350D, or 400D), can all be had for less than $100 dollars, so even an extensive diagnosis may be of limited value.</p>

<p>Had a similar intermittent problem with my 24-105mm (it happened in Rome) - "Communication Error, clean contacts". Did all that then called Canon. They said that cleaning would cost $60. Sent it to them. Then I got their response - -$433 to clean and repair. I put this ailing lens in my closet with other never to be used again equipment.</p>

<p>UPDATE:<br>

Last night I tried a new, formatted memory card, removed and fully recharged the main battery, removed and reinserted the date/time battery, cleaned the body and lens contacts with a pencil eraser, lens fluid and microfiber cloth all to no avail. At least all my other lenses work. I'll be getting a new body but that's not until next summer. Thanks for your suggestions.</p>

<p>It is quite an interesting dilemma, as one would certainly expect that the current draw from your other lenses would exceed that of these lenses, and be more likely to trigger this on the camera - if the source of the problem was a faulty battery... </p>

<p>Have you tried reinstalling the firmware? If not, I would try this. It's hypothetically possible a cosmic ray (or something else ;) ) struck the camera and partially corrupted the firmware - kind of weird, yes, but corrupted firmware has led to stranger results than yours... ;)</p>

<p>Rob,<br>

No, the origianl Canon-branded battery died some years ago. I've been using third party Sterlingtek. I actually thought about that but since my other lenses all work I figured it couldn't be a battery-brand problem. I don't want to spend $ on a Canon-branded battery (expensive).</p>