Epson R800 and CS3 settings - can anybody glance over my settings?

<p>I'm trying to print from PS CS3 and although and I'm not quite sure I have it right yet.<br>

It looks to me as if I may be double profiling somewhere as the print looks higher in colour depth and contrast than on screen. The print isn't dark just high in contrast.<br>

My printer is an Epson R800 with the latest drivers and I'm using profiles supplied by Epson for their paper.<br>

I have my screen calibrated with Spyder 3.<br>

I received a print back from an online printing service and it appeared with less contrast than my screen.<br>

Is there anything I'm missing here?<br>

Here's my settings:</p><div>00UXeY-174407584.JPG.ae4834de89d6efce8b5a3088f0b109bb.JPG</div>

<p>You don't need to have Photoshop use the ICC profile - this is Epson paper so the printer driver will handle it. If you set Photoshop to Printer Manages Colors and set the printer to use Color Controls with no adjustment or Photo Enhance with the Normal setting you should get a correct print.</p>

<p>Andrew, I am under the impression that I don't want to give any control to the printer and to let Photoshop manage my print.<br>

Indeed after a Google, I came up with this link that firms up my settings:<br>

<a href="http://www.outbackphoto.com/printinginsights/pi029/Epson_R800.html">http://www.outbackphoto.com/printinginsights/pi029/Epson_R800.html</a><br>

Titled " 3/20/2004 Printing from Photoshop " just over half way down the page.</p>

<p>Hey, all I can tell you is I've been using one for years, letting the printer manage the color when using Epson paper, and never a problem. Doing it the way you have it is extra work, because it is trying to get Photoshop do exactly what the Epson driver is already set up to do by default. Introducing an extra step introduces an extra opportunity for error. So you're right to be concerned about double profiling - it's the first thing I'd think of, and it's an easy variable to test.</p>

<p>Is your monitor calibrated?</p>

<p>Hi Andrew, yes the monitor is calibrated.<br>

I will give this a try though. So Printer Manages Color in CS3 then select Color Controls on the printer.<br>

Can I ask what Gamma setting, Color Mode you use? Also do you change any of the other Brightness, Contrast, Saturation controls etc?<br>

Thanks</p>

<p>Paul, I use exactly the same colour settings as you have on my R800 without any issues. It is good practice to get Photoshop to manage colors, and to use the latest ICC profiles Epson provides. And that way you also won't come to grief when you want to use another manufacturer's paper with its own ICC profile.</p>

<p>Have you tried using just the ordinary Photo or Fine Photo setting, rather than Photo RPM? I think I read somewhere that the RPM setting can lay down too much ink (which may translate to hight contrast?) How do you know that there is nothing wrong with your printer? Perhaps by trying Let the Printer Manage Colour?</p>

<p>I will try dropping of RPM as it's not necessary for test printing anyway.<br>

If there was something wrong with the printer then I think it would be more obviously screwy.<br>

One setting change at a time.<br>

What's the best way to prove that my printer output is not correct? Test image? Printer profiling? Proofing? Getting someone else to print the same image?</p>

<p>Paul, I echo Andrew's solution. My prints from my Epson R260 printer, using Epson inks and only Epson papers, match my Adobe Gamma calibrated monitor and this is what it's all about isn't it? . In PS CS (version 8) I've turned off Color Management, allowing the printer to manage the colors with 'Color Controls' selected and no adjustments. I don't use other maker's papers. Works for me. I worked myself to high levels of frustration trying to master 'Color Management' using PS instead of the printer's controls so I just stopped trying. Almost went broke trying different settings, wasting ink & paper. I've finally accepted the fact that I'm simply not wired to understand it. Not to say others should do what I do. Do what works for you! Try Andrew's solution before you blow a gasket. It could well be the most practical option. Keep us up to date on your progress. Many here are interested in your progress\solution. Best, LM.</p>

<p>Andrew and Len, I appreciate the comments but for me it's not the way forward although I read similar comments on other sites after searching. The last thing I want to to have the option of moving colour and contrast sliders on the print options. I want a colour managed workflow so what I see on screen is what I see at the printer.<br />I think I have made progress. I have now adjusted the brightness and contrast on my Dell 2209WA screen and then recalibrated using the Spyder 3. Oddly enough the before and after preview of the calibration the screen appears dimmer after calibration which is fine by me.<br />I uninstalled then deleted all my paper profiles for the R800 - I had 2 sets from Epson from different dates - both .icm. I downloaded the most recent .icc profiles from the Epson website albeit from 2005 and installed them.<br />My printer and PS CS3 settings remain the same except I have dropped the Photo RPM and use Best Photo to match the icc profile name.<br />With the dimmer and recalibrated monitor I was able to increase the brightness in my test image.<br />I switched Print Preview off on the print settings because it looks like its using the printer colour settings and it looks really weird.<br />It was dark last night when I tried a test print and my yellow looking room lights don't help but the print looked pretty good. I waited until this morning to check and it looked even better but have not compared to screen in daylight yet.<br />I'm not sure whether I've made progress or just reassured my colour management and expectations ;)</p>

<p>Good luck Paul, I was going to ask what light sources you used to view your prints. Out of the printer my prints look too dark with the wrong contrast, but under a couple of 4700K Solux bulbs (in desk lamps, much closer to a D50 reference light source than my room lighting) they match my screen pretty closely. Maybe your problem is not in the PC or the printer... <br /> </p>

<p>I use a R1800 with CS3 on Windows. A couple of thoughts- update your driver and get the latest Epson profiles ("SPR Epson...). You can also use R1800 profiles.<br>

I still don't think they are great (a bit cold for my tastes) but are okay. You do want to print with best photo vs RPM and I usually use the perceptual rendering intent with them. I'd only judge your prints under midday sun and would expect some color shifts with fluorescent or incandescent lighting.</p>

<p>Do a nozzle check (manual) to confirm all ink locations are firing.</p>