Epson axe R-D1s

too bad. i use both the M8 and r-d1s and prefer the latter for many purposes. the epson has much quieter high ISO performance, shows little IR color shift, has a nice 1:1 VF, has a very good user interface with just four buttons and no dreaded thumbwheel, has a moveable (and reversible) LCD screen, has a conventional shutter cocking system, and -- of course -- has the ultra cool analog dials on the top plate. it is a great product that will go down (in my book anyway) as an all-time classic. certainly it will be the only digital with manual advance ever built (unles huw finney cmes thru). the M8 is a much more conventional product (albeit with an M mount) that lacks all of the charm of the r-d1s. in a way, i think the premature demise of the r-d1s only makes the epson camera cooler. just like janis joplin is cooler than stevie nicks or hendrix cooler than clapton.

take care, roger

What have dead pop stars got to do with a discontinued camera? In any case

the M8 is 250 degreees Kelvin (= Centigrade) cooler than anything else out

there and Epson may be trying to boost its baby to 10 MP or more before

bringing it back. The M8 scores on its detailed reproduction, period. All else

is detail.

Err, what ws the question? Oh, yeah. Whether the R-D1 is dead, or if digital is dead?

No the R-D1 is not dead. Dead is the wrong word. It is now a classic, like the M3 or original MP.

To borrow a phrase often used by Moose Peterson, I'll predict future authors will write, "The R-D1 became much more popular after it was discontinued." It will achieve cult status. And I'll predict it will be back in a new and improved version. The R-D2 will have 7.5 megapixels and a 1.25 crop ratio. It will have framelines for 21, 24/25, 28, 35, and 50mm lenses.

I'm buying one tomorrow morning (really).

<i>Pretty sure Stevie died in a helicopter crash in the early 90's.</i></p> Pretty sure that was Stevie Ray Vaughan (who, coolness aside, was a better guitarist than Hendrix or Clapton). Stevie Nicks is very much alive and I don't know if/how much 'work' she's had done on her but she looks better now than Janis Joplin did back then. I still can't figure out what any of Stevie's lyrics mean though.<p><i>What have dead pop stars got to do with a discontinued camera?</i></p>They both get the folks here's juices going?