Electronic Flash Petersen's Photographic library

hjoseph7

A couple of weeks ago a newbie asked if there are any good books on electronic flash. Well I just happened to be looking

through some boxes and I found a copy of "Electronic Flash" by Petersen's Photographic Library. The name is Petersen

with an "e' it's not a typo.

This book is a little dated it was written in the 1980's, but I think it's one of the most complete books on electronic flash

that I know of. There are just not that many books on the subject.

There book starts off explaining the different types of flash including studio flash and hot-shoe models. It is well illustrated

with photos and diagrams of different Light set-ups, but it is deffinately not a promo. There is a section on fill light that

finally got me to understand how to achieve fill light with available sun-light using non-automatic flash units. There is even

a section on special effects with diagrams. Last time I looked this book was selling for under $10, some were even selling

for $1.

The Petersen's Photographic Library books were excellent. Of course, they were aimed at film photography but, much of the information is entirely valid for digital photography also. The other sets of books with good information are "Kodak Library of Creative Photography" and the "Time-Life Photography Books". My library has a second hand shop and these books are often available for fifty cents or a dollar. They make interesting reading and still have valid information.

However, for more up-to-date info on flash with digital photography; the Internet cannot be beaten. Here are two good sites:

Flash Photography With Canon EOS Cameras:

http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/

Planet Neil Tangents:

http://planetneil.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/