Efke asa 25: Dev in Rodinal? HC-110?

ward

Getting ready to try my first rolls of Efke 25, and want some

starting points on development. I am used to doing Pan F in Rodinal

and HC-110 with very nice results, so figure I'd likely start there.

Good choices? Time/temps?

As usual, I know these are just starting points and my actual milage

may vary. That said, I would REALLY like to hear your thoughts.

• 5 years later...

I find that Efke 25, and most films, are a bit grainy in Rodinal for my taste. This

could be due to having hugely varying temps between my various baths.

I haven't gotten EFKE 25 in HC-110 ironed out yet, but for anyone who's interested 7

minutes in Dilution B - which was the only starting point I could find on Massive

Dev, is far too high and I'm pretty sure my soup was a degree or two (f) below 68 or

20c. The bottom of my film was seared pretty bad, some black reaching all the way

to the middle of the roll.

I'm going to try again at 5 with Dilution H tonight, and hope that works.

Other than that D-76 seems to get pretty darn good results with EFKE but I gave

that up as it was "too boring" probably a dumb move, but I wanted to try new things.

I hope this is relevant to future EFKErs.

I've found that when a time is not given in HC110, especially for dilution B it is often because the developing time might be very short or the combination might produce excessive contrast. At higher dilutions it might be possible to work out a suitable time. The only Efke 25 I used I souped in D-76 stock for the recommended time. Never tried Rodinal, although I have plenty. I tried Rollei Pan 25 and liked it better so I've got a 100' roll of it in my bulk loader now.

Lex:

You're very perceptive - when I printed they looked okay, but it was only on a 5x7

print and I shoot in MF generally. However, when I scanned it looked so grainy I lost

almost all detail.

I like to maintain a lot of detail for certain subjects ( a moth in this case) so for

anything else where the general composition was more important than seeing every

little hair on his furry head, it would have been different.

best,

-John

Mike: Thanks for your reply, I used HC-110 dilution H at 7 Minutes for Efke 25 and it

came out perfect.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I made a huge error. 7 Minutes in Dilution B probably works - I had all the

dilutions up on the wall and I never bothered to realize that 37.5 mls of juice per 600

bottle is, well, Dil. A.

So, 7 minutes probably works, with dilution B. However, 7 minutes with dilution H

gave me acceptable (if flat) results.

I can't believe it, the answer was sitting right next to me on the wall for almost a

month.

I hope this helps someone.