Dust spots

--Nikon D100--

I have cleaned sensor in the past with gentle blasts of canned air,

but it does not always get it immaculate....I still get some dust

spots, which add time spent in photoshop.

Any suggestions on a better way to clean the sensor?

Damndest thing about digital...dust used to only be a problem in the

darkroom.

<<I have cleaned sensor in the past with gentle blasts of canned air>>

Not recommended at all.

There are plenty of previous threads on sensor cleaning in the archives. Please use the photo.net search page.

Take a few grains of high grade silica sand and blow them in there with your compressed air can. The sand grains will help dislodge the dust particles while the compressed air flings them about wildly above the sensor. After this, and this is the important step, you need to run it under the sink for a few seconds, being sure you rinse all the sand grains out (don't want them getting lodges in your shutter mechanism). Make sure when you put it on the dish rack to dry you face the lens opening down so all the water drains out. You can try heating it with a hairdryer to speed the drying process, too, as I can tell you're not going to want to spend too long waiting for your camera to be ready to shoot again... If this method doesn't work for you, try reading a couple articles on these and a hundred other forums about 'Sensor cleaning' or 'CCD cleaning' or 'Digital camera sensor cleaning' or'How is the best way to clean my sensor?' Good place to start, it's been discussed rather exhaustively, even here on Pnet.

I should have realized this would be such a heavily discussed subject. Thanks to everyone for the links. Everyone except E. Walker that is...I came here looking for tips, not satire. Please find something better to do with your free time. I hear the landscapes of Hell need to be photographed.

"Canned air" is NOT AIR. It is a liquid solvent, typically diflouroethane - very nasty to plastics and SLR's mirrors - that is supposed to vaporize into a gas when its pressure is reduced (the nozzle is opened). There is always the possibility that some liquid droplets may get into your camera. This would be potentially disastrous.

Sorry, Matt, I couldn't resist : o)~

Seriously, the canned air is not a good idea. I was having a rough morning, and just entertaining myself.

Well, I'm going to Hell now to see if I can get some nice shots of that brimstone I've heard so much about- I hear it's beautiful this time of year!

-e-

Matt, I don't know where you live but here in NY there is a place which will clean out the dust for about $40. I believe they are called Photo Tech Repair. There's a link to them from the Nikon USA site.

They cleaned my D70 after it acquired a noticeable dust spot that was showing up in all my images.

Rosemary

E. Walker, apology accepted....and thanks to Skip Douglas for explaining what the canned air does. It is one thing to say "Don't do this," but even better to explain why. I have found a place in Dallas that will not only clean out the dust, but will teach the consumer how Nikon's repair technicians do it. It's a couple of hours away, and $60, but very well worth it in the long run, I think.