Dp you have an artist's statement?

Do you have an artist's statement? Or perhaps more than one statement (for different exhibits or purposes)?

If so, what do you feel that your statement communicates above and beyond what someone would see if they simply reviewed your

portfolio?

Do you feel that your statement or statements accomplish these objectives effectively? What feedback have your received on your

statement?

If you don't have an artist's statement, is that by choice? What is the reasoning behind that choice (or simply behind not having one)?

Have you ever read someone else's artist's statement and found that it made you more interested in viewing the person's work? Have

you read one that made you less interested than you would have been had there been no statement at all?

Thanks in advance for all replies.

<p>I think it can be effective. I normally think the art should speak for itself and let people form their own opinions and thoughts about the work... However, I think if you have a unique voice and an articulate way of writing.. It doesn't hurt and may enhance the viewing experience.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I normally think the art should speak for itself and let people form their own opinions and thoughts about the work.</p>

</blockquote>

<p> <br>

I've never had a show for which I wasn't expected to provide an "artist's statement." It's easy to say that art should speak for itself, but that doesn't play in the exhibition world.</p>

<p>Jeff, I have friends who are well known for their photography/art and are asked to exhibit throughout the year. As far as I know, it seems to be an artist choice. If you're talking about information pamphlets for the show, the gallery normally has something written about them that identifies their work.</p>

<p>I don't because I don't consider myself an artist. However, many photographers do and over the years I've noticed that many come across as pompous in that the quality of their work doesn't come close to the grandeur in which they describe it, themselves, and whatever "philosophy" is behind it. Harper Westwood is right - the work needs to stand on its own and should not need to be explained or justified.</p>

<p>If you're talking about information pamphlets for the show<br>

<br /> <br /> No. I'm asked specifically for an artist's statements. "Friends" doesn't really do much for me, I have no idea who they are.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>the work needs to stand on its own and should not need to be explained or justified.</p>

</blockquote>

<p><br /> When you are exhibiting and told you have to provide an artist's statement for the exhibit, you do it. It doesn't matter what anyone thinks, exhibiting is about what the gallery wants.</p>

If the statement is required for a show, should it be about the artist or about the collection or piece that's being show?

Example: "I tried to capture a view of the world from the perspective of my cat, so I crawled around six inches from the

floor for a week" versus "I love cats almost as much as I love photography, and I am thrilled to share my cat's perspective

of the world".

>>>I've noticed that many come across as pompous in that the quality of their work doesn't come close to the grandeur in

which they describe it, themselves, and whatever "philosophy" is behind it. <<<

Agreed. The "statement" can do more harm than good if it casts the artist in a bad light.

<p>Yes, I have written several over the years for various exhibitions etc. I try to keep them short and stick to a brief history of how I came into photography. I try to avoid 'explaining' my work. My feeling is that if pictures need explaining then they are missing something - surely the whole point of pictures is to obviate the need for words. I hate those statements that being, "My work is all about ....". I'll figure it out for myself, thanks!</p>

<p>When I go to the zoo, I like to have a paragraph telling me something about the nature of the creature into whose eyes I am looking (for example, just for starters, is it looking to eat me, or is it expecting me to eat it?).</p>

<p>Even "pompous" is fine with me. Many little creatures have incredible abilities or aspirations that aren't apparent from within their little boxed enclosures. I enjoy getting a whiff of that desire.</p>

<p>Most gallery owners ask for a cv, a bio and an artists statement about the particular body of work to be hung. Lots of people who are good photographers are lousy writers and in those cases should hire someone to do the writing for them. The art world is pompous, that's just a fact. If you want casual, hang your stuff in your garage and ask the neighbors over for a beer.<br /> Personally I enjoy reading some background about the artist and the work I am viewing. I find that this information can help to flesh out the idea or concept of the show.</p>

<p>The few times I've exhibited any of my work I was not asked to provide an artists statement so I guess I've just been lucky. For the Special Olympics exhibit I did (which was a solo exhibit of 30 or 31 pictures) that ended this month, I simply put up a short intro about the Special Olympics and provided the website for people who may want more info on donating and/or volunteering. I chose not to write anything about myself because the pictures were not about me, they were about the Special Olympics Summer Games of 2012. I am finding that for some photographers it's all about them and not the subjects of their photographs. To each their own.</p>

<p>I like a short, simple statement about the exhibit. What gags me are the ones that begin, "As a child the artist felt he was being pursued by clouds, his personal demons, and a cat his only protection until he found a camera......." </p>

<p>I like simple and to the point. I don't see anyway around having one if the gallery wants it. You don't want to be one of "those" artists and you do want to be invited back.</p>

I'm going to use this next time:

My work explores the relationship between emerging sexualities and UFO sightings.

With influences as diverse as Nietzsche and L Ron Hubbard, new tensions are created from both

traditional and modern narratives.

Ever since I was a pre-adolescent I have been fascinated by the endless oscillation of the mind. What

starts out as yearning soon becomes manipulated into a manifesto of temptation, leaving only a sense

of chaos and the prospect of a new reality.

As temporal forms become clarified through studious and diverse practice, the viewer is left with a new

agenda of the limits of our existence.

www.citysnaps.net