Does Photoshop CS2 open NEF files without having to convert to DNG?

coastallight

Photoshop uses ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) to open NEF files. Once opened in Photoshop, ALL files are PSD files. You cannot save files in the NEF format - you must choose another, such as TIFF or PSD (both are 16-bit).

It is definitely worth the upgrade from CS to CS2. However, you can use the latest ACR 3.x with either version. So far, I don't see any difference between the way NEF or DNG files look in Photoshop. The default settings may differ. Perhaps you can describe what you have found.

So with CS2, it changes your NEF file to a psd, then how do you use the ACR? I thought that was for RAW only? Does it only work if you convert to DNG?

As for what happens, my files get mucky (dull, lose sharpness, contrast, etc) - when I open them in other programs like Bibble, they look fine.

Carolyn

In order to open NEF files in Photoshop you need ACR, either as a plug-in or via Adobe Bridge. Once opened, NEF, TIFF, JPEG, PSD (or whatever) files are treated the same by Photoshop - as PSD files. You can save them in any format you wish, defaulting (except for NEF) as their original format.

Which camera are you shooting with? I assume you're using the DNG converter because your camera is not directly supported by the older versions of Adobe Camera Raw (up to 2.4) that are compatible with CS? If your camera _is_ supported by ACR 2.4, there's no reason to use the DNG converter unless you like the DNG workflow.

However, I think what you're seeing is more about the default settings of Adobe Camera Raw, rather than any effect of the DNG converter. You must be using some version of ACR to read the DNGs, since they aren't directly supported by Photoshop. I think you'd get very similar results if you (e.g.) used CS2 and the current version of ACR and skipped the DNG step. To get better results, you either need to adjust the ACR settings, or use a different raw converter. Nikon's own converter (as included with Nikon View, Picture Project, and Capture) may give you more pleasing default results. Capture also allows you to save adjustments back to the NEF (no Adobe software can do this).

ACR 2.4 is the latest version of Adobe Camera RAW that works with Photoshop CS. If your camera is not supported with ACR 2.4, you will have to convert the NEF file to a DNG file using a DNG converter that supports your camera - get the latest DNG converter avaialble with Photoshop CS2.

I have both Photoshop CS and CS2 and my camera D200 was not supported with ACR 2.4, so I converted the NEF to a DNG so I could use ACR 2.4 with Photoshop CS. I purchased CS2, which does support the D200 with the later versions of ACR. CS2 has new features in ACR 3.x that is not available with ACR 2.4, and it works with Bridge which makes a much nicer RAW flow that ACR 2.4 with CS. I think it's worth the upgrade.

I still use DNG even with CS2 because all the settings for the converter are saved in the DNG file rather than requiring an external XMP file with the NEF file. I now have only one file to keep up with for each RAW image. I don't see that the DNG file changes the image at all.

I'm using a D50.

So, if I am using CS2 and open a NEF file, ACR will open (as it does now when I open a DNG file that I've converted my NEF file to) directly. Is this correct? I don't need to do the inbetween DNG convert.

I've downloaded the capture trial and am not very impressed but it's better than what I had with the DNG convert, etc.

Carolyn

"So, if I am using CS2 and open a NEF file, ACR will open (as it does now when I open a DNG file that I've converted my NEF file to) directly. Is this correct? I don't need to do the inbetween DNG convert."<br>

<br>

Yes, as long as you have ACR 3.4 or newer (that's the first version that supported the D50). Updates are free from the <a href="http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html">Adobe Camera Raw Page</a>.<br>

<br>

Cheers,<br>

<br>

Geoff S.