Do I offer clients original photos along with adjusted versions?

denise_cuc

<p>I'm not sure how to offer my photos to clients. I specialize mainly in children's portraits and I like to create a different version of a few of my favorite shots for each gallery. I can't decide if I should offer the original version (which is obviously retouched and color corrected) or just the enhanced version or both. Or, do I offer an entire album as vintage, for example, as well as original? That seems like a lot of work.<br>

What do you do and does it work well with your clients? Thanks!</p><div>00Y1Ok-320435584.jpg.c0e6b4083417ced095a0af72fce92e67.jpg</div>

if you have time to processes all those combinations and you think it's making you money by doing that,

provide both. I've done one or two processed for my artistic look and it's gone over well . . . That said, you

really should first know why the client choose you for the shoot . . If they choose you for your creative

talent they expect it, if you dont deliver it what sets you apart from the guy next door? Ask yourself what

you clients wants and why they hired you . . . .

This is in the business section so i assume youre trying to make a business. If youre in business, and youre trying to make money your feelings and your passion and your "art" are secondary. Unless youre well established or have all the money backing you till the cows come home, at some point you will have to shoot things that are not as artful as a sculpture. Some clients want real, true to life and do not want alterations, if youre in the portrait business you have to be willing to do both, unless youre at a point that you choose youre clients, they do not choose you . . . You should know up front what the client wants, but dont be afraid to tease them a bit with some artful processing . . . maybe have framed samples of some of that kind of stuff hung around the studio so they can see it . . .

<p>Combining parts of two previous comments rerpesents my approach: <br>

"Ask yourself what you clients wants and why they hired you . . . . Only give them the final output"</p>

<p>The last thing I'd want is to have a client pondering which version is best. The last thing I'd want as a businessperson is for the client to ponder why I didn't know which version is best.</p>

<p>Yup. I never allow people to see the originals, just the final product. BTW, I provide a Facebook image that is sized correctly and adjusted to look good on the computer screen. I get a TON of referrals from people who love the image and ask who did it. I tell clients to please let them know and refer people to me. I throw this into the portrait package I do, but I also give a meaningful shot to businesses who use me for commercial work, so they can use it on their page as well. The license is very specific to social media sites though.</p>

<p>I always give my clients the versions I feel most suit their images. Occassionally I get a request along the lines of "can we make this B&W" or "can we also have this in colour", but these are usually for less than 0,5% of total deliverables, so...</p>

<p>I'd say, give them your versions and see how they handle it...</p>

<p>I'm with the other responders, you are being hired for your vision so give them that. There really is no need to supply an alternate version - I think it may come across as a lack of confidence in your final version.</p>

<p>Apropos of nothing really, but I would have removed the dark background object on the left hand side - it really pulls your eye away from the subject's eyes (look at the image and place a finger over the dark area to see what I mean). Apart from that, I really like your desaturated version and I'm sure your clients will be thrilled.</p>

• 2 weeks later...