DIY Studio Shooting Table

slagerman

Commercial shooting tables are available from several manufacturers for much less than the cost of the parts described in the linked article. The commercial manufacturers have had the time and resources to develop products with all sorts of additional features, while employing mass manufacturing scale to make them available at a fraction of the cost required to kludge together makeshift contraptions. Consequently, DIY projects just seem like distractions from photography, especially for people who want to concentrate on photographic creativity.

Table or two saw horses. Plywood on top letting leading edge overhang. Drape background paper down and across plywood and clamp leading edge.

No cost- use what you have-don`t have to store it. You might have to buy the lamps. They are $1 at Home Depot, $10 at Calumet if you have too much money. I don`t wish to knock them as they are a wonderful store, just not for this.

Summer,

You're such a killjoy. When Kieth posted that he wanted to do this a few weeks back, you said the same thing, and about seven people jumped in and thought it would be a great idea.

>> The commercial manufacturers have had the time and resources to develop products with all sorts of additional features, while employing mass manufacturing scale to make them available at a fraction of the cost required to kludge together makeshift contraptions.

Did you read his article? He said he paid about half what the table would cost.

And it doesn't look like a kludged contraption at all.

Here's a quote:

"So in the end, if you purchased the Bogen / Manfrotto online for $649.99, and paid shipping, lets say about $60 dollars, you’d pay over $700 dollars! The materials listed above got us the virtually the exact same shooting table for a total of around $375."

>> Consequently, DIY projects just seem like distractions from photography, especially for people who want to concentrate on photographic creativity.

For people who like to make things, it's not a distraction at all. It's fun.

I like to cook. I'd rather cook than eat out. It's cheaper, and when it comes to Italian food, I've been told my stuff is better than what you can get at a restaurant..

Does that bother you, too?

wow!! i wasn't really expecting a character judgment just because i wanted to take some time out of my day to make

something and save a little cash, which apparently summer has tons of haha. (or maybe i am getting the sense

that you work for Bogen or Manfrotto lol) anyhow, just thought i'd share with anyone out there who was

interested. sorry if it bothers some people but it matters not, because obviously, anything on here is

free game.. so game on..

i really don't want to press the issue, but honestly, making this really didn't take take away from my

photographic creativity. i allows me to expand on it. It took 2 hours and 1 trip to Lowes. (and plus its all a

tax write off) i can't possibly see how DIY projects hinder the photographic process, unless someone obsesses

over them or is a person who is so mechanically challenged that he/she can't turn an allen wrench or figure out

how a hack saw works.

So anyhow... Summer, You've got me interested, where can I find a decent commercially manufactured 4x8 shooting

table for less than $375? And what features does it have that my kludged together makeshift contraption doesn't?

I'm not trying to be an ass, I am honestly curious because if such a rig exists, i'd like to see what else they

have to offer.

Harry - yes, it disassembles in about 5 mins and fits in the back of an SUV, im taking it out for a weird

shoot monday. assembly takes a little longer, but i marked all the pipes, which makes a sort of road map.

pretty easy stuff.

I hope my total waste of time helps someone out there! :)

Keith thanks for the article. question, is the formica sheet transparent? and if it is, I want to make it without

the particle board so I can put my strobe below the table. Maybe no too many items on the formica, I guess,

considering the thickness of the formica. Anybody has an idea any other material that strong enough, transparent

but foldable for the base.

The Formica is completely opaque. meaning no light passes through it at all. Formica is rather flexible and probably wouldn't support even the lightest objects.

I think you'll want to go the Plexiglas route. I would look in your local yellow book directory under "plastics". Plexiglas is fairly strong, but i don't really know about how much weight it will support. you might also need to rethink the design of the table for plexi. good luck!

• 1 year later...

<p>Hey - saw this post and was inspired to try and build a shooting table for myself. I did a tutorial on my blog of my take on the table - I've been happy with the results, with a total of about a $50 dollar invest (most of that being the plexi surface to shoot on)</p>

<p><a href="http://www.danielvalentephotography.com/2010/06/20/building-a-800-dollar-product-shooting-table-for-50-bucks/">http://www.danielvalentephotography.com/2010/06/20/building-a-800-dollar-product-shooting-table-for-50-bucks/</a></p>