thumb) in the upper plate/housing, right on the end of the camera

just below the frame counter. I've just sent it back to Leica after

speaking to them on the phone. They of course were extremely non-

committal about what they could do. I enclosed a letter outlining

the issue and asking them either (a) to repair the problem along with

certifying that the camera is in perfect working order or (b) to

replace the camera.

Anybody have a similar story in dealing with Leica in New Jersey? If

so, how did they respond in your case? Thanks for your feedback.

I am not sure what to think. Was the dent present when you first sent them the

camera? I am guessing not, but I am also wondering why the need for a

rangefinder realignment on a relatively new camera. Have you ever dropped

the camera or subjected it to other rough treatment? Have you ever packed it

where it could have bumped repeatedly against something, or been subject to

vibration (and a vibration, like that in an aircraft overhead bin can shake apart

a Leica lens)? Lastly, did the packaging in which the camera was returned to

you show any evidence of damage? If not, and the top plate previously was

undamaged, then it sounds like the damage was done by Leica.

Those issues aside, if the camera is still covered under the Passport warranty,

then they should repair or replace the camera, just as you suggest.

Yep, I checked the camera from stem to stern before sending it and aside from a small scratch which was put there by me there were no dents. Given the amount of money I spent on the camera, I was always careful to keep it around my neck and to keep it in a thickly padded camera bag when I wasn't using it. No way this dent happened on my watch. Besides given that the upper plate is brass, it would have needed a good-sized whack to put this kind of dent in it. The dent itself is between 1/8 and 1/4 inch deep.

<i>"Given the amount of money I spent on the camera, I was always careful to keep it around my neck and to keep it in a thickly padded camera bag when I wasn't using it."</i>

<p>I wouldn't call a dent a disaster, especially one that has no effect on function... although some collectors may disagree with me. If such a minor issue jangles you so, then put the camera into a glass case and buy something you can afford to use without worry.

Al,

If Leica USA service dented the plate, regardless whether the dent affects the camera's

function, they should repair or replace the part. If nothing else, the dent reduces the

camera's value, more than mere "normal" finish wear, and regardless what anyone

here thinks about the need to make your cameras "look" used. An MP is a relatively

new model, not a 30 year-old workhorse, and the buyers of new ones have paid a

premium to Leica USA for their Passport service. Presumably this means that Leica

service is not entitled to inflict damage to their warranty buyers' cameras.

It never ceases to amaze me that people who would not put up with damage done to

their cars by the dealer service think that damage done to their cameras should be

blown off or their owners told that they should store the camera in a glass case.

Thanks, Chris. You beat me to the punch in response to Mr. Feng's deep wisdom.

You're quite right, Mr. Feng. So I guess if I were to walk up to you and whack your camera with a hammer and put a dent in it, you'd just shrug it off and keeping shooting, right? Yeah, I should say to Leica, "thanks for the dent" and keep moving.

Brilliant logic.

The problem, of course, is "proving" that it wasn't dented before it went to Leica. Unfortunately, it boils down to you say they dented it; they say (I assume) they did not. I believe they will fix it anyway in the interest of customer relations. However, if the serial number is on the plate (I can't recall if it is or not) they will not replace the plate, they will repair the dent. Hopefully they'll just send you a replacement MP.

Let us know what happens!

Good Luck.

MH, Several years ago (six or seven), I sent a 28/2.8 Elmarit-M to Leica because of a

loose footage scale (focus) ring. When it was returned to me, the lens was a mess. It

seemed that too much acetone was used and several of the surfaces of the lens

elements were ruined. A phone call to Brenda Olesin of Leica Service brought me a

loaner and the damaged lens was sent to Solms to be repaired. Needless to say,

quality control at Leica USA service was suspect on that ocassion. The repaired lens

was fine.

Totally they should replace that part for you. Ridiculous to think a manufacturer should be able to get away with that. I had my car towed by mistake (tow co. thought I didn't belong in the lot) and the truck left a nice dent in my oil pan. Well, I asked them to replace it, to no avail, then had them served with a small claims court summons or somesuch, and then they ante'd up the money for a replacement pan. Basically, when someone damages your property, they better be prepared to play like adults and take care of it.

About 6 months ago I sent a 90 F2,8 thin tele elmarit for replacement of the rear lens group. It had the etching problem. I got it back, and Leica in Germand had replaced the front element by mistake. I sent it back to New Jersey, and it was then sent to Leica Germany where they replaced the rear element group with a new one, in addition to the obvious CLA. No charge for the second repair. It wouldn't have been justified, but I kind of expected them to try. Their error was my gain. A new lens for $390.00US.