Digital cameras that use Compact Flash Cards?

<p>Just looking for advice after posting a thread in another forum relating to using a camera in a library to copy documents where a silent shutter action is required. Does anyone know of a good quality digital, camera that is silent in operation, and uses compact flash cards up to 4 GB and takes good quality jpeg images? Thanks, Mike</p>

<p>The Sigma SD line does. I just picked up a discontinued SD14 model a few months ago to supplement some other (non-Sigma) gear, and I've been impressed with its results. BTW I don't shoot in JPEG, due to its inherent limitations, but I did try out it's functionality and it worked fine.</p>

<p>Sorry, maybe I did not explain myself too well, I have been using a Nikon D200 to take lots of images of archived documents for research purposes, however the archive library have pointed out to me that the continued sound of my camera's shutter (mirror) is distracting to other users, and I have to admit that I do understand that, however I still have lots of work to do in this area and so thought that a compact style camera that took good quality jpeg images, and was robust enough to face the challenge of taking upwards of 70,000 images over the course of the next few years would be better suited to my purpose and due to its silent operation would no longer create any form of nuisance to other users. The reason for Compact Flash cards being preferred is that I own both a Nikon D3 as well as the D200 and obviously have lots of CF cards so would prefer to continue to be able to use these for this purpose though would compromise on this issue. I would welcome any comments on what compact camera's are out there that would suit my needs, and finally the library provides camera copy stands so all the work will be done with the camera mounted fixed above the documents, thank you for your comments so far and look forward to some further advice, Mike </p>

I would consider one of the micro 4/3rds cameras from Panasonic or Olympus and an SD card. Silent,

good performance for your particular requirements, and the cards are cheap. 4GB SD cards are $10 or less. 8 GB cards for $20.

www.citysnaps.net

<p>Maybe a <a href="http://www.whistlerweddingphotos.com/blimp.html">homemade blimp</a>?</p>

<p>... or the <a href="http://www.penncamera.com/spec_sheet.html?catalog%5Bname%5D=Sam-Cranston-Camera-Muzzle-Miscellaneous-Camera-Accessories&catalog%5Bproduct_guids%5D%5B0%5D=06617e05-7979-4564-bac2-07b361eaa636">Sam Cranston camera muzzle</a> (apparently not as effective as a <a href="http://www.soundblimp.com/Default.htm">bonafide Sound Blimp</a>, but much cheaper and easier to use)</p>

<p>You're going to have a hard time finding a compact (non-SLR) that takes CF cards. I don't think such a thing exists. However, if you had a compact with any other sort of card, along with a card reader and laptop, you could dump your images pretty easily into the laptop everytime you fill the card.</p>

<p>I've copied large documents with a Canon G11. The images were just fine (very readable). I found the manual focus capabilities were essential for this repetitive task. There are other cameras with manual focus as well.</p>

<p>One advantage of a compact, if you're putting that much mileage on your camera, is that there's very little to wear out (no shutter, no mirror). I'd use a shutter release cable, so as not to wear out the button on the camera.</p>

<p>Hi again everyone, and thanks once again for the constructive advice, I have accepted the argument for the SD cards, and am now going to look at the Compact Camera's available from Nikon, and intend to go down the card reader and dump the images on to the laptop route, I now have to look at the features as I will require a shutter release cable and also a mains electicity power cable as I do not wish to be burdened with batteries and chargers etc. Thanks again for your time, regards Mike</p>