digital alternative processes

I don't have access to a convential darkroom but I would like to try

to do some alternative processes on my computer in Photoshop. I have

seen a few suggestions for Sepia & Lith processes - has anyone any

ideas for other processes?

Digital prints from Photoshop are rapidly replacing silver gelatin as the standard or most common type of photography and I don't think many people would consider such output as alternative photography.

On the other hand, many peopple are making alternative prints with proceses such as Platinum, carbon, kallitype, gum, cyanotype, Vandyke, etc.from digital negatives produced in Photoshop and printed through service bureaus or even on inkjet printers.

Sandy King

Thanks for the responses - what I am specifically looking for is methods to do polaroid transfers, cyanotype & van dyke images in photoshop in combination with various plug-in filters such as mediachance, flaming pear and harrys filters. I will keep experimenting & pass on anything I achieve.

The information you are looking for does not fall under the classification of a black and white photography alternative process as we generally understand it on this forum. You should find a digital photography forum in which to ask such a question.

Sounds interesting, but I guess I'm missing the point. My understanding of the development of some alternative processes like polaroid transfer was a reaction by the artist types from the technology-intensive focus that photography has gravitated toward. The whole point of such processes is the particular look of the images as induced by the peculiarities of the media and craft involved.

There was a point in time when I thought of buying an astronomy-grade CCD camera and laptop computer, for use as a high-tech pinhole camera

system. Then I awoke and thought "what was that all about...?" I do pinhole and paper negatives (and also sheet film) because I like the craft involved, and the look and feel of the images and the materials.

Certainly you aren't considering alternative processes for commercial photographic reasons (there's no money in that) ... so why not keep them truly 'alternative'?