Differences in Tamron 90mm Macro

arkadiy_chernov

<p>Guys..<br>

Finally I decided myself to get a tamron 90mm for macro work. The thing is that I saw a picture of it, with an aperture ring, feature that really attracted me. BUT, i saw another one without it. Since the designations are the same and the prices too, how may I know which one I'm buying. (i.e: u can check adorama and b&h, they have different pictures of the same lens).</p>

<p>I've got one in my hand- bought the 90mm F2.8 Tamron Macro just a couple months ago.</p>

<p>It has an aperture ring, from 2.8 to 32, with an "A" function, too.</p>

<p>Box says Tamron AF 90mm F2.8 Di Macro 1:1. I bought mine from Amazon, shipped from Amazon, not another retailer. (And I got a $90 rebate, which hasn't yet shown up...)</p>

<p>Pro level? I dunno, I'm a wet-behind-the-ears rookie myself, but I bought the lens for my budding macro interest based on nearly across the board kudos by other people. I've only played with it once so far and the results were, in my mind, darn stunning. I shot some frost crystals on a window in my house, photos here in this board from not long ago, I think the message thread still shows in the message list. It will get extensive use once Mother Nature wakes up this spring and summer. Haven't had too much interest yet for tabletop macro work. Here's the link to that thread- http://www.photo.net/pentax-camera-forum/00RzZa</p>

<p>Here is what Canon, Nikon, Sony, and Pentax owners are saying about it at Amazon, click on the reviews from each brand-<br>

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw_1_9?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=tamron+90mm+macro&x=0&y=0&sprefix=tamron+90</p>

<p>And the same from those four camera brands from B&H customers-<br>

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?ci=0&shs=tamron+90mm+macro&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O=jsp%2FRootPage.jsp&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=submit</p>

<p>And from Adorama-<br>

http://www.adorama.com/Search-Results.tpl?page=searchresults&searchinfo=tamron%2090mm%20macro</p>

<p>I figured all those folks can't be too wrong... I'd bet that with a good eye you'll be able to turn a buck with this lens. If nothing else, you'll have tons of fun with it.</p>

<p>Other model numbers were 52B, 52BB, and 72B - all of which were Adaptall mount lenses, meaning with the proper adapter they could be used on a variety of manufacturer's bodies merely by switching a mount...sometimes meter coupled, sometimes not. The 52 models only went to 1:2 unless you used an extension, the 72B had the extension built in and goes from infinity to 1:1.</p>

<p>Another macro lens of legendary fame, if you can find one for your camera, is the Kiron 105mm f2.8. Manual focus. They made virtually the same model sold as Vivitar Series 1 and Lester A. Dine names.</p>

<p>In the pre-digital age I saw three versions 1) Manual focus adaptall 90mm f2.5(49mm filter) 2) Manual focus adaptoll f2.8 (49mm filter) 3) Autofocus 90mm f2.8 (55mm filter). My wife actualy has the version one. She used it a lot with her K1000. I think she paid all of $100 for the lens. A bit chunky, but great manual focus feel. Lovely macro lens. The autofocus versions have all received stunning reviews.</p>

<p>The picture without the aperture ring was probably the Canon version. They probably just re-used the Canon version photo for all of the different versions, rather than taking a photo of the Nikon version, the Pentax version, the Minolta version, etc. Adorama and B&H both do that on occasion. Nothing to worry about. If you order the Pentax version, it will have an aperture ring.</p>

• 6 years later...