Diafine in San Jose

tim obrien

Hi all, wondered if anyone knew of a place in SJ,CA to buy diafine.

Lex has me convinced I should develop some diafine habits for my 120

Tri-X (old emulsion). My usual local store in Palo Alto doesn't carry

it and San Jose Camera is a waste.

Sorry if this is a waste of BW.

tim in san jose

Photographers Supply in SF carries Diafine: 426 Bryant St., 415-495-8640. Not sure if

Calumet has it, but it's harder to get to that store anyway. And if you don't mind

waiting a couple of weeks, K&S could probably order it for you. Photographers Supply

also carries other exotic items such as Efke and Foma film.

Sorry to go off on a tangent here but if Tim's local shops wouldn't offer to order Diafine for him that's a prime example of why local shops are quickly becoming irrelevant.

When I called B&H and a couple other places to order Diafine and was told they wouldn't ship directly to me I ordered through my favorite local dealer. He had it within a few days. Cost was a little higher than if it had been included with my larger order from B&H, but still reasonable.

My grandparents and great-grandparents were raised in a generation and locale in which mail order was the big thing, between Sears catalogs and all the rest. Even my mom's generation had some carryover, tho' there was no real shortage of stores if one was willing to travel 20 miles.

It's odd that the post-war consumerism that drove the transformation of large expanses of unoccupied turf into concrete temples where the almighty buck can be worshipped locally may have suddenly become for naught.

Makes me wonder: What exactly is the purpose of a local camera shop today if not to serve local needs? I don't think they know the answer themselves.

Anyway, Tim, rant mode off. Hope you enjoy the Diafine as much as I do. Try it on FP4+ too - I'm beginning to like that even better than Tri-X in Diafine, especially on sunny days and for nighttime work.