Device-dependent profiles from commercial printing firms

I am confused about the use of device-specific printer/paper profiles offered by

commercial printing services. I anticipate sending image files to Adorama for

printing, and they offer several profiles for download, specific to the media they

use. When I print to my Epson inkjet, I prepare an image in a device-independent

working space, sRGB or (more often) AdobeRGB, select in the printing dialog "Let

Photoshop Determine Colors" and specify a printer profile for the paper I am using

(for example, "Epson Stylus Photo 1270 Matte Paper - Heavyweight"). The

resulting prints rather closely match the soft proof displayed on my (calibrated)

monitor for that printing profile.

Shouldn't I simply send Adorama my image file, tagged as sRGB or AdobeRGB,

and expect them to apply the appropriate paper profile when printing? I can see

the value of using their device-dependent profile for soft proofing, but is there any

reason it should be embedded in the file, i.e. by using Photoshop's "Convert to

Profile" command?

You should use a standard color space (usually sRGB, since nearly everyone uses it). Don't convert your image to a device profile unless the printing service specifically tells you to do that (and provides the profile). You certainly should ask for a device profile so you can soft-proof and make whatever adjustments might be needed before submitting the file. Not all labs can read embedded profiles for standard color spaces like Adobe RGB; they may assume sRGB because that's what they usually get from people who print JPEG files directly from the camera. That's why sRGB is usually the safest bet.

Why not call Adorama and ask for specific instructions about color space and profiles. That information might even be on their Web site.

>Shouldn't I simply send Adorama my image file, tagged as sRGB or AdobeRGB, and

expect them to apply the appropriate paper profile when printing?

No.

I don't agree with Ted. IF the profile is being used properly by the lab (if the profile actually

defines that device behavior), you can now soft proof based on preferred rendering intent

(which is image specific) and edit based on this preview. You can do so using a far more

useful working space than sRGB, which is pretty small and doesn't contain colors many

modern output devices and nearly all capture devices can handle. You can use Adobe

ACE. You can have the image properly prep'ed for output. The bit IF here is, will the lab

send the RGB numbers as you've created using the profile and does the profile accurately

reflect the output device condition (it should of course but you need to check with the lab.

Some say "just use this for soft proofing but don't convert and send, we'll do this. This is

an alarm they are NOT properly color managed).

Getting a profile only for soft proof but not used for final conversion is a kludge! You don't

know what color engine they will use with the profile or if they will even use that profile you

soft proofed with. You don't know what rendering intent they will use. You seem to

understand how to color manage using your own printer. The lab should be able to do the

same. When they don't, they are trying to fool customers into thinking they are color

managed but its a half baked, at best process. They should either do it right or simply say

"we don't support color management, send us data in Stupid RGB or sRGB as most call it!

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Dear Ben

I am unsure why you have not yet received a reply to your email requesting the information - unless you sent it in to the general customer service email address, rather than to AdoramaPix?

Either way, I have contacted the head of AdoramaPix, and would hope to have a response for you as soon as possible

Sincerely

Helen Oster

Adorama Camera Customer Ambassador

Andrew - thank you for your comments. I guess I need to wait for a response from Adorama informing me just how to use their profiles in the preparation of my images for printing by them. I assume that your mention of Adobe ACE is a reference to the Adobe Color Engine (which I take to be the collection of algorithms favored by Adobe for conversions between color spaces), which I have specified in the PS Color Settings Conversion Options, along with Perceptual rendering intent. I find it hard to believe that a commercial lab would not use a color-managed workflow these days (likely with the assumption of sRGB for untagged image files they receive).

Helen - Nice to hear from you as well. I emailed through the AdoramaPix web page. That was just before the long holiday weekend, so it may take some time to find and respond to. I will patiently wait for a reply.