Developing Redscale film?

<p>I have just recently made my own Redscale film canister and am ready to shoot. It is Kodak color negative film that's purchased from CVS. After shooting, can I bring this to CVS to develop it or does it need to be sent to a professional lab? What would I need to tell them when I drop it off?<br>

<br />I develop my own black and white films at home. Is it possible to develop this Redscaled film in black and white chemicals? Would the negatives be too dense/black? Contrasty/Flat? Or would it turn out no different than b&w film? </p>

<p>The whole point of redscale is the very strange color balance by exposing through the wrong side of the film. So there's no point of doing it unless you have it developed in C-41 chemistry.<br>

So long as CVS trusts that your "redscale canister" has C-41 film, and will process it as C-41, that's fine. (But they not be willing to trust your assertion that it is C-41, as if you give them true black & white film, or Kodachrome, and then run it through their film processor, it will ruin all the chemistry in the film processor, and ruin several other customers' rolls of film.)</p>

<p>I believe some people overexpose it by 1 stop for best results. C41 is C41 whether exposed properly or in reverse so any high street lab should be able to process it. Just be sure to tell them the film is wound the opposite way round.</p>

<p>Not much point developing a redscale film in B/W chemicals as it would defeat the object of the exercise. You may see slightly increased contrast due to the mild red filter effect of the film base.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p><a href=" Redscale montage 2 - annotated Shutter chart on Flickr</a>, this shows the effect that the shutter speed has on the Redscale as it does not appear to be totally linear.</p>

<p><a href=" Redscale montage 3 - annotated Aperture chart on Flickr</a>, this shows the effect that the aperture opening speed has on the Redscale as it does not appear to be totally linear.</p>

<p><a href=" Redscale montage 1 a third one just because.</a> It does not appear that you can really over expose redscale film.</p>